Rules on planning permission: Planning permission: When you need it

Planning permission: How to make a successful application

Gaining planning consent for your new home is a critical part of building or renovating a property. Here’s how you can make a successful submission and take one step closer to bringing your dream home to life

Do I need planning permission for my self build or renovation?

For some homeowners, the road to gaining planning consent is confusing to navigate. Many people are unsure exactly what home improvements require planning permission in the first place. According to data from Toolstation, 56% of homeowners believe consent is needed to build a single-storey extension, while 42% think they would need to make a planning application to construct a conservatory. In fact, in the majority of cases, planning consent isn’t required for these projects.

It’s true that most, but not all, major building works require planning permission, including self builds, some renovations and sizeable extensions. Minor external changes to a property and internal alterations are usually exempt, and numerous projects, including some single- and double-storey extensions, loft conversions and the erection of outbuildings, can be carried out under what’s known as permitted development (PD). But if you’re building a property from scratch, you can safely assume that you’ll need to obtain full planning approval to create your dream home.

If you’ve already found the perfect plot, the first thing to consider is whether the principle to build a new dwelling on this site has already been founded. “If you’re going down the route of buying a plot that already has outline planning permission to develop a new house, the principle to build has been established,” says Carl Huntley, managing director of Base Architecture + Design. “The key thing to do then is to get hold of the planning application documentation and the approval so you can understand what the conditions surrounding the build are.

Many people are confused as to what renovations require planning permission. Image: ronstik / Shutterstock

For would-be self builders considering a plot without outline planning consent already attached, the process is more complex. “An in-principle application will need to be put forward on that piece of land, and there will be quite a few issues that bubble up. Ecology, drainage, highways and the notion of building itself will all need to be addressed,” says Carl.

If you fall into the latter camp, examining the council’s Local Plan is often a good place to start. “Look to see if the Local Authority has a design guide, as these can often give prescribed minimum separation distances to consider, which will ensure the plot is sufficient in size,” says Arron Breedon, planning director at Clear Architects. “It’s also worth checking the nationally described space standard for internal dimensions requirements and Local Plan policies for minimum external space standards.

Other factors to consider will be restrictions regarding privacy and whether your plot is situated within a designated zone such as the Green Belt or a Conservation Area – but more on this later.

Outline and detailed planning permission

As a first step, it’s useful to understand the difference between outline and detailed planning consent. Outline consent is simply a declaration that establishes the principle of what can be built on the site, covering basic elements such as the layout of the property and its scale. However, detailed or full planning permission (also known as planning approval) is required to actually build the house. This covers aspects such as the design of the dwelling, materials, layout, access, parking and drainage setup.

When it comes to carrying out site surveys and creating the drawings that will support your application, you’ll need to bring in an architect or professional designer to coordinate the process for you. Need help managing your project? Check out the full guide.

Many self builders and renovators choose to hand the planning application over to their chosen professional entirely, as they will be better placed to understand the intricacies of local planning policy and present a well-considered application based on that. You can find a RIBA-chartered architect in your area here.

Enlist an architect or designer to create documents for your application. Image: Akira Kaelyn / Shutterstock

“You need a topographical survey to show the extent of the site and the levels that sit on the land so drainage can be calculated,” says Carl. A Flood Risk Assessment, Transport and Accessibility Justification and acoustic surveys may also be required.

“If there are trees on site, whether they have a Tree Preservation Order on them or are within close proximity to the project, an Arboricultural Report may be necessary,” says Jen Morrison, an architect at DMW Architects. “Biodiversity and ecology may also be important, depending on the site. A phase 1 biodiversity survey will be required, undertaken by an ecologist, to assess the plot for protected species. Further assessments may be required if any protected species, such as bats, badgers, newts etc are detected.”

Your architect should be able to act as a lead consultant to coordinate all the necessary professionals to carry out the surveys. In order to put together the application for you, his or her fees will vary depending on the complexity of the site, the brief and the design the client wants to achieve. “For a normal four or five-bedroom home, the drawings for a detailed planning application could cost anywhere between £2,000 and £4,000, depending on the level of design the client is looking for,” says Carl.

How to make a planning application

Your planning submission can be made to your local district, borough or city council. The simplest way to submit the application is online, via the government’s Planning Portal.

You’ll need to fill out a form with all the required information about your project, supply drawings and any additional reports associated with your application. You can browse the list of necessary documents on the Planning Portal.

A fee is also required to make a planning application, which varies depending on where you are in the UK. In England, the cost to submit a planning application for a new dwelling currently stands at £462 – a guide to the fee structure can be accessed here. 

If you’re making improvements to an existing property, applying for permission to build an extension (in England) costs £206. Applying for consent to build an extension would cost £230 in Wales and £300 in Scotland.

However, Housing Secretary Michael Gove’s Levelling-up and Regeneration Bill, which is on the brink of being passed, is likely to shake up the planning system in the near future.  Some of the bill’s impending reforms have already been made public, including the introduction of the so-called ‘Street Votes’ system, which will allow residents to vote on local developments that could affect their area.

This could make the planning application process somewhat more involved for homeowners. Proponents of the initiative argue that it will hand control of development back to local communities, while critics say the system could hinder development and exacerbate the UK’s backlog of new homes. 

Planning restrictions for self build homes

There’s a myriad of restrictions to be aware of if you’re building a new home, perhaps most notably those relating to protected areas such as the Green Belt, Conservation Areas (CA) or Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB). Close proximity to listed buildings may also influence the scope of what you’re able to achieve.

“If you’re building in a CA, good design and materials are everything,” says Arron. “The right architecture practice with planning expertise will bring forward a model that relates to its surroundings without necessarily copying.” According to Arron, imitating the surrounding architecture is not always the best way forward. “This strategy only maintains a CA, while good quality design that relates to its surroundings can enhance the zone and is popular with planners.”

Building in a Green Belt area is potentially more problematic, as you’ll have to prove that you’re not causing harm to the protected zone. Each designated area will have its own set of policies attached to it, which you’ll need to reference in your planning application. However, if your proposal will not benefit the protected land then the local authority will be obliged to refuse your application.

While building on Green Belt is challenging in terms of planning, it’s not necessarily impossible. Paragraph 79 (formerly known as Paragraph 55, until July 2018) is a special clause in national planning policy under which houses of excellent design can be built in areas of open countryside. According to this part of the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF), homes of “exceptional quality or innovative nature of the design” can be erected on countryside plots that would otherwise be considered unsuitable for development.

However, this route to obtaining consent doesn’t come without challenges, as the design scheme will need to be outstanding. According to the guidelines, it should also enhance the immediate surroundings and respond sensitively to the defining qualities of the surrounding area.

Nearby listed properties are another factor to be aware of when making your planning application. “Building within the curtilage of a listed dwelling will also require listed building consent, an application that runs alongside your planning application,” says Jen. “Sometimes the support of a heritage consultant can be invaluable here, especially when dealing with tricky conservation officers.”

Castlefield is an inner city conservation area in Manchester. Image: Ugis Riba / Shutterstock

Planning restrictions for renovations

Depending on the key goals of your refurb, there’s a lot that can be achieved under permitted development rights, without the need to apply for formal planning consent. A good architect will be able to help you maximise these allowances. However, for peace of mind, it’s still worth obtaining a Lawful Development Certificate before you make any changes to the house, just to ensure the works are legal.

If you’re planning to enlarge your home as part of the renovation, it’s worth knowing that a variety of extensions (single- and multiple-storey) and conversion projects (including lofts) fall under PD allowances, too. Homeowners in England are able to extend to the rear of their houses by up to eight metres for detached houses and six metres for all other permanent homes.

Exceptions to PD guidelines apply if your house is listed or situated within a designated zone, such as a Conservation Area or an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. If your home falls into any of these categories, you’ll need to make a full planning application for the renovation works. Designs that are more dramatic externally have a greater risk of being refused by the local authority. In order to keep things simple, one option would be to try and keep the exterior style of the house in keeping with that of the existing property and make the bulk of your changes to the interior (which won’t require planning consent).

Remember, alterations to listed buildings will also require listed building consent – in addition to planning approval. The support of a specialist heritage buildings consultant can be invaluable when making an application for alterations to a listed property.

Before submitting your scheme to the local council, see if any similar projects (renovations, extensions or basement and loft conversions) have been carried out on your street. These could provide a precedent to support your application. But remember, they will need to have been approved under current planning law.

READ MORE: How to renovate an old house – a beginner’s guide to fixer-uppers

Getting pre-application advice from your local council

Seeking pre-application (or pre-app) advice is a good way to test the waters with your local planning department before submitting a formal application. One of the key benefits of the pre-app process is that it is private – so anyone can do a pre-app before they commit to buying a piece of land or property without the existing landowner knowing.

Individual councils will determine the level of detail that you’re required to submit for pre-app advice, plus set the cost of the consultation and how long it takes to get feedback.

For smaller projects such as extensions and alterations to existing homes, you can sometimes book free pre-application consultations, however, for larger projects (including self builds) a fee is usually involved. This varies from council to council but is usually in the region of £50-£200 for a meeting and follow-up letter. However, in complex cases, this can amount to more than the £462 that’s paid for the formal planning application itself.

While obtaining pre-app advice is not essential, it can be extremely helpful in putting together a design that is more favourably received by the local authority. “If you’re about to spend your life savings on a dream home, it’s vital to get it right. The cost of putting together a planning application can appear high to some, but this money is well spent as it will inform the quality of the proposal,” says Arron from Clear Architects.

Essentially, the process involves submitting details of your proposed scheme to the local council. They will then be able to provide feedback that highlights any possible areas of concern. “Officers often see the pre-application as a proactive step, and take it into account during the planning process,” says Jen. “But remember it is informal. Even if the planning officer is initially supportive during pre-app, there may be other issues and concerns raised later on that could throw a spanner in the works.”

The Party Wall Act and winning over the neighbours

Be sure to keep neighbours informed when you undertake building works on your property. Image: 1000 words / Shutterstock

Getting your neighbours on side can be a key part of the planning process. “Most objections come forward when people aren’t aware of what is being proposed,” says Arron. Therefore, it pays dividends to keep your neighbours informed from the start as to what you’re planning. Keep the lines of communication open and be clear about the scope of your project, as well as the impact it may have on them.

“Be approachable and make time to answer any questions they may have in order to avoid conflict. Often it’s the little things that make a big difference, such as contractors’ vans being parked inconsiderately or starting work on site too early – especially at the weekend!” says Arron.

Maintaining a good relationship with your neighbours is particularly important in cases where shared boundaries are involved. Depending on your scheme, you may need to bring in a Party Wall Surveyor. “The Party Wall Act is there to protect both you and your neighbour(s),” says Jen. “Therefore, having the relevant professional involved is essential when there are shared boundaries, and the neighbour is concerned any proposals will physically affect their property.”

How to deal with planning rejections

Planning decisions should be made in accordance with local development policy, however, if your proposal is rejected by the local authority, they must provide reasons why.

“Hopefully, you’ll avoid this situation if your architect is making regular check-ins with the planner to direct the application as best as possible,” says Arron. “It’s imperative to highlight how the proposal complies with the council’s policies and standards from the start, as this greatly enhances the chances of success at the application stage.”

You or your architect can discuss the details of the refusal with the relevant planning officer to ascertain whether there’s any other route forward, or if a fresh design approach will be required.

If there are sufficient grounds, you may be able to appeal the decision. In this instance, the case will be taken out of the local authority’s hands and handed over to an independent government inspector. “This strategy is worth considering,” says Arron. “It’ll take a little longer to obtain a final decision but can help circumnavigate a council that’s not on the same page.”

If you end up making a fresh application, bringing in a specialist planning consultant could be a wise move. They will be able to address some of the policy issues and demonstrate accordance in any subsequent submissions. “Remember, the next application will be free if it’s within 12 months of the previous refusal,” says Jen.

Planning law is a vast and intricate subject, and it’s worth bearing in mind that local development policy varies significantly from area to area. Unsurprisingly then, different regions have different approval rates for planning applications.

According to data gathered by Toolstation, who submitted FOI requests to councils across the UK, Lincoln in the East Midlands has the highest success rate. 96% of planning requests were approved in the city for the period between 2020 and 2022. Edinburgh came in a close second with a 95% approval rate, and 94% of requests in Salford, Manchester, Nottingham, Norwich and Derby were granted.

Lincoln has the highest planning permission success rate in the UK. Image: Gerry Burrows / Shutterstock

Meanwhile, aspiring self builders and renovators in other areas of the country weren’t quite so fortunate. 22% of planning requests were declined in Swansea in the same time window, while Luton (21%) and Burnley (18%) both had significant rejection rates too. Some of the most common reasons behind these unsuccessful applications were:

  • The work involved a listed property
  • The property was located in a protected area
  • The building would overlook a neighbouring property
  • The building would restrict the light of a neighbouring property 
  • The work would impact local trees.

While the road to gaining planning consent can feel arduous, success is within your grasp if you’re armed with the right information. Getting a firm grip on the basics and your local area’s planning policy from the outset of your project should enable you to navigate the process effectively. Don’t be afraid to bring experts on board to help out where needed, too.

READ MORE: How to build your own house: A self build beginner’s guide

Featured image: 25fps / Shutterstock

Browse the self build A-Z:

  • Buying land to build on: a beginner’s guide
  • Flat-pack tiny homes you can build in a flash
  • Glass doors and window styles: glazing options for your self build
  • Hempcrete, bamboo and cob: 9 eco home building materials that are better than concrete
  • How I built my dream home for just a few thousand pounds
  • How to build a house with integrated smart home tech
  • How to buy property at auction
  • How to design your own home
  • How to find the perfect self build plot
  • How to make a successful planning application
  • How to project manage your self build
  • Inspiring self built homes on a budget
  • Passive houses around the world that cost nothing to run
  • Self build mortgages: What do you need to know?
  • Step inside this modern self build on the Welsh coast
  • The world’s most incredible self built homes
  • This couple built their tiny house on wheels for just $15k
  • This incredible eco-home was built in only 3 days
  • We built our dream home in our back garden
  • What it’s really like to live in a Grand Designs house
  • Which self build structural system should I choose?
  • 5 ways to finance your self build home
  • 7 stylish ways to design your interior floor plan
  • 8 ways to get the best from your builder
  • 10 amazing package homes that take the graft out of self build
  • 10 questions you should always ask your architect before starting a project

Planning permission explained by experts

Join our newsletter

Get the best home decor ideas, DIY advice and project inspiration straight to your inbox!

Thank you for signing up to Realhomes. You will receive a verification email shortly.

There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.

By submitting your information you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and are aged 16 or over.

Planning permission, also known as planning consent, is the formal permission from a local authority for the erection or alteration of a building. Planning permission is something you’ll almost certainly need if you’re considering a major project – and may need if you’re planning an extension or dramatic house renovation. It is also required for a change of use of buildings or land. Here, we take you through the essentials of planning permission. 

So, if you’re extending a house or approaching a house renovation find out everything you need to know about planning permission.

Planning permission vs permitted development 

As we have mentioned, planning permission is essentially agreement from your local council that you can undertake certain work. It is in place to make sure that the work that people undertake is in line with the area they live in, doesn’t cause damage to the local area, things of historic importance or negatively impact neighbours. Let’s face it, none of us would be overly enamoured if our neighbours built a huge and unsightly extension that overlooked our house.

Conversely, work can also fall under what is called ‘Permitted Development’. This is a scheme set out by the government to make development to homes or buildings simpler. It essentially sets out criteria for work that can be carried out without permission and was recently expanded as outlined below.

Do I need planning permission?

As you will see, there are a lot of detailed rules and so it is essential to check first with your local council first because there are certain nuances that can mean permission is needed and they vary from authority to authority. If you don’t think planning permission is needed but you want to check, then it is worth a quick chat with your local planning officer; you can find their details on your Local Authority website. If they won’t chat to you for free you can always book a meeting with them. These start at around £150 and if it is a simple request then you should only need one meeting. It is important to note that local authorities are likely still wrangling with the new rules which could add additional complexity if you are trying to take the permitted development route.

It is always worth checking with your local council to find out whether you need planning permission for your project, be that a kitchen extension or increasing your garage space, and what is likely to be accepted because rules change locally and differ between different areas of the UK. You can also double-check the government’s planning portal to see restrictions. It is important to note that it is your responsibility to apply for planning permission (or not) before work starts and you can be fined or even made to undo the work if you don’t have the correct permissions so make sure you’re clear on what your local authority requires.

What doesn’t need planning permission?

So, what can fall under permitted development rather than need planning permission? 

If you’re planning a house extension, it is possible that you could do this under the permitted development rules. Permitted development for extensions can include:

  • Garage conversions that are internal and don’t enlarge the building are also covered (but not where you are changing a detached garage into a living space as this could be construed as building a new dwelling)
  • Loft conversions (subject to certain criteria)
  • Building a new storey or flat onto your property

However, flats and maisonettes do not fall under PD, so planning permission is required. Planning permission is also more likely to be required in conservation areas, National Parks and Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, but not in the Green Belt.

How much does planning permission cost?

Planning permission application fees vary depending on the nature of the application – you can use the government’s planning fee calculator to get an idea of what you’ll need to budget. Welsh authorities have a different fee schedule, and applications for listed buildings or those in conservation areas don’t incur a fee.

How to apply for planning permission

You’ll need planning permission for significant extension and remodelling projects, and you can apply for planning permission either through your local authority or online through the planning portal. Usually, your local authority will have a guide on how to prepare a valid application so it is always worth checking their site. Ordinarily, an application needs three main things in order to submit it:

  • Planning permission forms: these are managed centrally by the planning portal and cost £60 to apply online but each local authority will have guidance on how to fill these in.
  • Plans and drawings: again, these will differ depending on the work you want to do but normally you will need a site plan (a plan that shows the development in relation to the boundaries and existing on-site buildings), a location plan (showing the location of the development site in the context of the surrounding area), existing and proposed floor and roof plans, and existing and proposed elevations (plans showing the front, back and side of the house from the outside).
  • Supporting documents: these can vary significantly and can include things such as bat surveys, structural surveys, flood risk assessments and sunlight assessments and so it is always best to check your local authority website for a list of requirements in your area.

You can check your local planning portal to see whether your property has been through planning before, this is a useful check as prior applications can be a guide to indicate what may or may not be approved.

How long does it take to get planning permission?

Local authorities will usually advise of a target determination date when validating your application. For small-scale projects, they normally aim for eight weeks from validation to decision.

(Image credit: Alison Hammond)

How long does planning permission last?

As a general rule, and unless stated otherwise in the letter notifying you of the decision, three years. This means that you should start work within that three-year window, or you will need to re-apply.  

If your planning consent is about to expire, you do have options. You can make what is known as a material start to the project, as you only need to start rather than finish the project within three years. There aren’t hard and fast rules as to what a material start is and it depends on the work that has been approved; for example if you are starting a loft extension (which you may be able to do under permitted development) then you could start the project by adding in a Velux window. If you are starting an extension, it’s usually assumed to be where you submit a Building Control application to dig and pour the foundations. An inspection by Building Control will prove the start date of the build. 

You can also let your application lapse and apply again but there is no guarantee you will get approval this time.

If you’re lucky to receive an approval for your planning application, be 
sure to make note of the conditions attached, as they are just as important. Most approved applications come 
with notes, such as requiring the local authority to approve the exterior materials before commencement of work, or perhaps having sign off on 
a landscaping scheme.

You’ll need 
to formally apply to discharge these conditions and receive a letter to confirm so, as failure to do this will invalidate your approval. 

‘First, it’s important to try to understand exactly why the planning application was rejected,’ says architect Hugo Tugman. ‘The proposals may be largely acceptable, but simply contain a detail that the local authority can’t approve, in which case resubmitting a new application that has been amended accordingly should be enough to get the permission that you require.

‘It may, however, be that what you are proposing is fundamentally outside the planning policy or guidance the planners are working with. If that is the case, you really need to understand what these policies are and redesign so that your scheme falls within these parameters.

‘The third possibility is that you feel your scheme was within the policy guidance, but the planning department has made an unreasonable interpretation of the rules and refused it. In this final case it may well be worth going to an appeal, where an inspector (not local authority) makes an independent assessment of whether policy has been applied correctly and reasonably.’

Generally, if you wish to appeal, you have 12 weeks to appeal from the date on the decision letter that you got from your local planning authority. There is no fee for appealing.

What if the planning application is turned down?

‘First, it’s important to try to understand exactly why the planning application was rejected,’ says architect Hugo Tugman. ‘The proposals may be largely acceptable, but simply contain a detail that the local authority can’t approve, in which case resubmitting a new application that has been amended accordingly should be enough to get the permission that you require.

‘It may, however, be that what you are proposing is fundamentally outside the planning policy or guidance the planners are working with. If that is the case, you really need to understand what these policies are and redesign so that your scheme falls within these parameters.

‘The third possibility is that you feel your scheme was within the policy guidance, but the planning department has made an unreasonable interpretation of the rules and refused it. In this final case it may well be worth going to an appeal, where an inspector (not local authority) makes an independent assessment of whether policy has been applied correctly and reasonably.’

Generally, if you wish to appeal, you have 12 weeks to appeal from the date on the decision letter that you got from your local planning authority. There is no fee for appealing.

What are Section 106 agreements?

These are legal agreements that run alongside some planning applications. They allow local authorities to secure monetary contributions to offset the impact of the proposal or control restrictions on the planning consent being sought. Normally, Section 106 agreements are reserved for larger applications, however, some local authorities are now using them to secure affordable housing contributions for developments of single plots, so it’s worth checking the local policy.

Will a tree preservation order be a problem?

It would be advisable to contact the council to ascertain whether the tree has a preservation order on it. If you are in a conservation area, you will also need to get special consent.

5 more key notes on planning permission

  • Most planning decisions should take no longer than eight weeks from the point of application.
  • The objections of neighbours and local people may well not have any impact on the final decision.
  • If you think you are going to get a refusal, you can withdraw your application at any time up to the day itself, and resubmit free of charge.
  • You can submit an infinite number of planning applications on any one site — and choose which to use, as long as it is current.
  • You can make an application on any piece of land in the country, without having to own it

Planning permission not needed? Apply for a Lawful Development Certificate

If you are certain that your project does not need planning permission, but want to be able to prove it is lawful in future – perhaps when you’re moving house – it is worth applying to your local authority for a certificate of lawful development.  

An application needs to be submitted to your local authority. The forms are typically the same across all local authorities and can be accessed, completed and uploaded via

You will need to submit scaled plans of your proposal and a location plan based on an up-to-date ordnance survey map. 

Don’t forget the other paperwork: building regulations and insurances

Remember that getting planning approval is not the only legislation you need to adhere to. Proposed works will also need to conform to building regulations if they include structural alterations. So repair work won’t need to, but new building work – including extensions – will need to be checked.

You also need to remember that if you are extending your home, it will not be covered by standard buildings insurance. Extensions and extensive renovations are often excluded from buildings insurance if you are altering the structure of your home. You will need specialist site insurance to cover the existing insurance and the new works being carried out until completion.


Hugo Tugman is an architect with years of experience with private clients for domestic projects. He founded Architect Your Home  in 2001 and his book AYH available on Amazon can help guide you through your own home reno project from start to finish.

  • See our specialist site insurance and renovation insurance products from our sister title Homebuilding & Renovating in association with Self Build Zone

Building Permit

Domix Chief Architect

In building your own home, as in other areas of life, you can not do without paperwork. As for issues with land, here you constantly need to follow the latest legislation, since this is a fairly young branch of law in our country.

The last change happened on August 4, 2018! Federal Law “On Amendments to the Town Planning Code of the Russian Federation and other acts” N 340-FZ the concept of “Building Permit” for individual housing construction has been canceled!

Instead of a building permit, now there is a notification nature of interaction with the local administration: you notify them of the intention to build a house, they give you approval or refusal to build.

Details of the notification are described in the new version of Article 51.1 of the Town Planning Code.

Upon completion of construction, notification will also be required, which cancels the problem of permission to commission, which hung incomprehensibly. technical plan (it is done by a cadastral engineer) and a receipt for payment of the state duty for registering a house and cadastral registration. In the absence of violations of the compliance of the constructed object with previously agreed plans, the administration independently submits the documents to the Federal Registration Service for registration.

It is important to understand that an individual house is considered to be a house with no more than three above-ground floors, no more than twenty meters high, which consists of rooms and premises for auxiliary use, designed to meet citizens’ domestic and other needs associated with their living in such a building, and not intended for division into independent real estate objects.

The purpose of sending a notice of construction is to verify the compliance of the project with the requirements of urban planning regulations.

But before making a project, it is better to get the urban planning plan of the land plot

from the administration

The urban planning plan (abbreviated GPZU) contains a lot of useful information about the protective and security zones, the necessary approvals from airports or state authorities. organs, setbacks from boundaries, and, ultimately, the possible blot of development.

That is, it may turn out that you can not build wherever you would like, and your project will not be approved.

In this case, we will design and build a house that you will like and meet all the requirements.

You can get a GPZU either in the municipality or through the MFC, there may be different rules in different places in the Moscow Region. Most likely, you will have to wait all 30 days established by law.

It is issued free of charge and is valid for three years.

Then the matter is small – the DOMIX company makes project documentation, including a scheme for the planning organization of a land plot with a designation of the location of an individual housing construction object. This scheme will be checked for compliance with the requirements.

As a result, instead of obtaining a building permit, now you need to send a notification indicating all the characteristics of the future building. This procedure applies to all types of land.

– You can submit a notification on the portals of public services in Moscow or the Moscow region
A small guide is posted here.

– The term for consideration of the notification is no more than 7 days (20 days for the territory of the historical settlement)

– Coordination with airports, conducting state historical and cultural expertise is still relevant

– Until March 1, 2019for agricultural land, it is not necessary to submit a notification for registering a built house

Procedure for obtaining a permit for the construction of a garden house or an individual residential house

May 26, 2020

Notification of the planned construction of a garden house or an individual residential house

Notification procedure instead of a building permit construction. The owner of the land plot applied for a building permit and attached the following documents to the application:

– Town-planning plan of the land plot;

– Extract from the USRN or certificate of ownership of the land;
– Scheme of the planning organization of the land plot.

After 10 days, the owner received a permit to build a house and could legally start building a house.

Since August 3, 2018, changes have been made to the Town Planning Code of the Russian Federation, according to which it is not required to obtain a permit for the construction / reconstruction of an individual residential building, garden house.

Instead, a new article 51.1 was introduced into the Town Planning Code of the Russian Federation, according to which, before the start of construction, the owner, tenant of the land plot is obliged to notify the Administration about the planned construction.

Types of objects subject to the notification procedure

The following types of real estate objects are subject to the notification procedure:

– individual residential house;

– garden house.

Notify the Administration about the construction of such auxiliary buildings as a bathhouse, a garage, a shed is not required.

If the developer has already received a permit for the construction of a residential building before 08/03/2018, then it is also not required to notify the Administration about the start of construction.

Important : Construction can only be carried out on a demarcated land plot. Therefore, before submitting a notice of planned construction, make sure that the land to be built is demarcated.

Required documents for the notification of the planned construction

In accordance with Article 51.1 of the Town Planning Code of the Russian Federation, the following must be attached to the notification of the planned construction:

– in the absence of information about the land plot in the USRN, it is necessary to attach a document of title to the land plot . For example, a contract of sale, donation, an act of granting a plot, etc.

– power of attorney of the representative, in the event that it is not the owner of the land that signs and submits the notice of the planned construction.

How to submit a notification

After collecting the necessary documents and filling out the notification form, you must submit a notification with the attached documents to the Administration.

The term for consideration by the Administration of a notice of planned construction is 7 working days from the date of receipt of the notice.

Obtaining a notice of compliance from the Administration

(or the old building permit)

After receiving a notification from the developer, the Administration checks the notification for compliance with:

– limit parameters of permitted construction, reconstruction of capital construction projects;

– established land use and development rules, territory planning documentation;

– mandatory requirements for the parameters of capital construction projects.