The 7 Absolute Best Yellow Paint Shades, According to Designers | Architectural Digest
From a daffodil staircase in a moody farmhouse to a taxi yellow–tinged living room, designers seem to be in a frenzy to find—and spec—the best yellow paint. A surge of product collaborations, eye-catching home tours, and appearances in a handful of color-of-the-year schemes all make the case: In 2022, yellow is in. Though the statement shade has become a pièce de résistance in many an interior, swathing a room in a canary hue is arguably less conventional than, say, a soothing blue or of-the-moment pink. Despite its sunny disposition, choosing the wrong shade—or even using too much of the right one—can be cloying, blinding, or just plain too much. The secret? Finding the ideal undertones to match a room’s size and natural light.
Ready to embrace the color yourself? AD PRO asked seven designers about the best yellow paint options—here are the ones they feel deserve the spotlight.
Funky Yellow by Sherwin-Williams.
A kids’ room by Atelier Davis sports the buttery color.
Photo: Pablo Enriquez
Funky Yellow by Sherwin-Williams
“This yellow has so much depth. It seems a little, well, funky at first, but it’s the kind of color that changes in the light. It has a little bit of a green undertone, but it’s still warm and is great for kids’ rooms. Yellow fades easily, so it’s better to start more saturated!” —Jessica Davis, Atelier Davis
Goldfield by Benjamin Moore.
Catherine M. Austin used Goldfield by Benjamin Moore on the ceiling in the Kips Bay Decorator Show House Palm Beach.
Photo: Carmel Brantley
Goldfield by Benjamin Moore
“Our favorite go to yellow is Goldfield from Benjamin Moore. It is the perfect sunshine yellow that is not too strong or too saturated, and has a lovely softness to it. We recently used this color for our entry and kitchen ceiling in the Kips Bay Palm Beach Show House. We had a rainbow of colors in our spaces and this yellow worked beautifully with every shade we put next to it. ” —Catherine M. Austin, Catherine M. Austin Interior Design
Beeswax by Domingue Finishes was created by color expert Eve Ashcraft—and naturally, it’s one of her favorite yellow paints.
The shade in an interior designed by Hadley Wiggins.
Photo: David Benthal
Beeswax by Domingue Finishes
“Hadley Wiggins had the most beautiful range of fabrics that steered us to this lovely yellow. It’s a color that I developed for Domingue Finishes. Called Beeswax, it’s a limewash paint and it just glows when the sun hits it. It seemed like the perfect choice for this small, waterfront bedroom.” —Eve Ashcraft
French Quarter Gold by Benjamin Moore.
An interior designed by Noz Nozawa that uses the goldish paint color.
Photo: Noz Nozawa
French Quarter Gold by Benjamin Moore
“I love this shade of yellow. It’s a rich, glowy hue, and its earthy green undertone adds complexity to the color, which changes as the sun moves throughout the day. It’s not a color we typically associate with bedrooms, but waking up into a room this color feels like being greeted with a morning person’s smile each day. ” —Noz Nozawa, Noz Design
India Yellow by Farrow & Ball.
India Yellow by Farrow & Ball
“We love this striking, punchy yellow as the deep mustard tones give it an earthiness, making it a fitting color for both town and country homes. To create an immersive experience in a small room, we used India Yellow in full gloss on the ceiling and below the dado rail to let light bounce playfully around the space.” —Katie Glaister, K&H Design
Babouche by Farrow & Ball.
The color in an interior by Katie Rosenfeld and Company.
Photo: Read McKendree / JBSA
Babouche by Farrow & Ball
“I see yellow as a neutral—it literally goes with jewel tones of all shades, browns, blacks, and primaries. I even like yellow with pastels. Yellow is happiness in a color, for sure.” —Katie Rosenfeld, Katie Rosenfeld and Company
Curry by C2 Paint.
One of the best yellow paints, according to designer Zoe Feldman, is Curry by C2.
Photo: Stacy Zarin Goldberg
Curry by C2 Paint
“I love the shade Curry by C2. It has a saffron, henna quality that makes it feel old-world even though its saturation is robust. It adds color, depth, and warmth to a space without it feeling bright or chaotic, and it plays well with a lot of different colors. Although it has a lot of personality, it reads somewhat neutral, making you feel warm and ensconced, which is why we often use it in a jewel box manner.” —Zoe Feldman, Zoe Feldman Design
Yellow Paint Ideas | Benjamin Moore
From rich and decadent gold tones, to pale, buttercream hues, yellow paint colors lift spirits while providing warmth and comfort.
Yellow-painted walls add energy and optimism to any room. Just remember that saturated yellows can be strong, one of the reasons brighter yellows are typically used for accent colors, while muted and light yellow paints work better for an entire room.
Go for the Gold (Paint)
Bold yet inviting, golden, mustard yellow paints like Gold Mine 2155-20, Buttercup 2154-30 and York Harbor Yellow 2154-40, pictured here, add zing to any room. Neutrals that balance beautifully with these deep yellows include Edgecomb Gray HC-173 and Shaker Beige HC-45.
Deep golds reminiscent of opulent metallics include Metallic Gold 2163-40, Gilded Ballroom CSP-980, and Citrine AF-370. Consider one of these gold paint colors paired with a complementary jewel tone in your dining room or living room for an elevated, elegant look.
Love the metallic finish of precious stones and metals? Try a higher paint sheen.
“A LITTLE YELLOW GOES A LONG WAY.”
Director, Color Marketing & Development
A Sunny Yellow Kitchen
Yellow is often associated with health and well-being, so it’s no surprise that it’s a popular color for kitchens. Here, Hawthorne Yellow HC-4 beautifully complements cool grays and warms up natural wood tones.
In any room, a yellow accent wall in an otherwise white or neutral room adds instant vitality. We love bright yellow paint colors like Banana Yellow 2022-40 and Yellow Highlighter 2021-40 for the cheerfulness and charm they effortlessly exude.
The Subtle Effect of the Pale Yellow Wall
While bolder yellows are great for accent colors, we recommend more muted, toned-down yellows when painting more than one wall in a room. Soft yellows are integral to our Off White color collection, including Goldtone OC-112 and, as seen in this cozy living room, Man on the Moon OC-106.
You’ll also find a range of pale yellows in the Benjamin Moore Affinity color collection—a curated palette of 144 colors that mix and match with one another seamlessly—making it easier than ever to choose color. Yellow paint colors we love from Affinity include Soleil AF-330 and Anjou Pear AF-425.
Yellow Exteriors: A Natural Hue
A front door painted yellow gives the world a clue about the upbeat personality of a home’s owner, as seen on this Stuart Gold HC-10 front door.
Homeowners love yellow on their home exterior not only for its sunny style, but for its ability to make a more modest home appear slightly more expansive. Yellow is also a great backdrop for all types of landscaping, from traditional potted plants to flowering cacti. We love Weston Flax HC-5, seen on this gorgeous home exterior.
Ideas & Inspiration
Spark your creativity with a range of design and color ideas for your home.
Ready to Explore?
Browse photos and gain expertise to create remarkable interiors and exteriors.
Search by Address, City, State, Zip, Country
Yellow stools – causes, diagnosis and treatment
Yellow stools is the discharge of yellowish stools, the consistency of which is often changed. Normally, the symptom occurs in infants, in adults – after eating certain foods. Common pathological causes of yellowing of the stool are diseases of the hepatobiliary zone, dysbacteriosis, intestinal infections, hormonal fluctuations in women. To clarify the etiology, they make a coprogram, ultrasound and x-ray of the intestine, ERCP. To eliminate the symptom, a diet, intake of sorbents, probiotics and enzyme preparations is necessary.
Causes of yellow stools
Eating large amounts of carrots and sweet potatoes causes a change in the color of stools, since these products contain natural dyes. Bright yellow stools appear after eating dishes with turmeric. The symptom is observed in compliance with the milk diet, the predominance of fermented milk products in the diet. Natural causes provoke only a change in the color of the stool, the consistency and frequency of bowel movements remain normal.
Newborns have yellow stools due to consumption of one breast milk. Normal stools have a mushy texture. After a few months, the color changes to mustard or yellowish green, which is also a normal variant. In children of the first year of life who are bottle-fed, the feces are light brown or light yellow with a pungent odor.
Light-colored feces are detected in infectious processes that affect the small intestine and prevent normal digestion of food. Escherichiosis is characterized by liquid feces of a golden yellow color. The frequency of bowel movements increases up to 10-15 times a day. Greenish-yellow stools are excreted in the gastrointestinal form of salmonellosis.
Frequent light yellow stools occur with rotavirus infection. Feces are very liquid, with a specific pungent odor. The disease is usually determined in children of preschool and primary school age who have not yet learned to observe hygiene. Yellow feces are also provoked by other causes: enterovirus infection, food poisoning.
Pancreatic enzyme deficiency
When there is a lack of digestive enzymes in the small intestine, part of the food is not digested, but is excreted from the body with feces, which becomes light or pale yellow in color. In chronic pancreatitis, the symptom is noted periodically: if a special diet is followed, the feces have a normal color, when the gastrointestinal tract is overloaded with fatty foods, it brightens and acquires a mushy consistency.
Yellow discoloration of feces is preceded by heaviness and pain in the epigastrium, patients complain of rumbling and flatulence. In acute pancreatitis, the color of the feces changes to light yellow or grayish suddenly. At the same time, a person is disturbed by severe girdle pains in the upper abdomen, repeated vomiting, which does not bring relief.
Diseases of the hepatobiliary system
The typical brown color of feces is due to bile acids and stercobilin, which enter the intestine with bile. Periodic light yellow stools of a mushy consistency are characteristic of chronic cholecystitis or cholelithiasis in the acute stage, when bile secretion is impaired. Similar symptoms are observed in functional disorders of the gallbladder.
Clarification of feces is caused by liver causes: viral or toxic hepatitis of mild to moderate severity, in which the biliary function is partially preserved. The appearance of yellow stools is accompanied by heaviness in the right hypochondrium, constant nausea and loss of appetite. Symptoms are aggravated after eating fatty foods. With the complete cessation of bile secretion, the yellow color of the feces is replaced by a grayish-white.
Giardia multiplies in the gallbladder, disrupts the outflow of bile and contributes to the clarification of feces. The frequency of bowel movements in giardiasis increases up to 5-7 times a day, the feces are bright yellow and liquid, with a sharp fetid odor. In addition, the person complains of dull pain in the right hypochondrium, flatulence, nausea and vomiting mixed with bile. Normalization of the color of feces occurs on the 5-7th day of the disease.
Symptoms occur with a large consumption of cereals – barley, wheat, rye. Light yellow mushy stools with a sharp unpleasant odor may appear periodically, and then permanently already in childhood and adolescence, which is combined with weight loss, growth retardation and physical development. The first detected yellow stool in an adult indicates a mild form of celiac disease, which is well stopped with the help of a diet.
Complications of pharmacotherapy
Many drugs provoke disturbances in the digestion and absorption of food, which is manifested by yellowing of the stool and an increase in the frequency of defecation. A person notes seething and rumbling in the intestines, soreness throughout the abdomen, lack of appetite. When taking antibiotics, the color of the stool is greenish-yellow, which is associated with intestinal dysbiosis. The yellow color of the feces is caused by the following medical causes:
- Anti-tuberculosis drugs : isoniazid, ethambutol, streptomycin.
- Estrogen derivatives .
- Cytostatics : methotrexate, cyclophosphamide, adriamycin.
- Certain non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs : aspirin, paracetamol, diclofenac.
- Viral infections : cytomegalovirus, infectious mononucleosis.
- Hormonal changes in women : premenstrual period, pregnancy, menopause.
- Disorders of bilirubin conjugation : Gilbert’s syndrome, Crigler-Najjar syndrome.
- Psychological causes : severe stress, depression.
If the color of the feces changes to yellow, you should consult a gastroenterologist. To determine the cause of yellowing of the stool, an instrumental examination of the digestive system is performed. To clarify the diagnosis and identify hidden metabolic disorders, highly specific laboratory methods are prescribed. In diagnostic terms, the most informative:
- Coprogram . Macroscopically study the consistency, color and smell of feces. Microscopic analysis pays attention to the presence of undigested muscle fibers and starch grains, the number of erythrocytes and leukocytes. Be sure to examine the feces for helminth eggs, to assess the work of the pancreas, fecal elastase is determined.
- Sonography . Plain ultrasound of the abdominal cavity reveals inflammatory or fibrotic changes in the liver and pancreas, signs of intestinal damage. To clarify the cause of the disease, elastometry is informative, which allows you to quickly and painlessly establish the degree of liver fibrosis.
- Radiological Imaging . To study the motor function of the intestine and detect local inflammatory processes, a barium x-ray of the abdominal cavity is recommended. A plain radiograph of the abdomen helps to visualize masses, cysts of the liver or pancreas. If necessary, perform irrigoscopy.
- Retrograde cholecystopancreatography . Endoscopic examination of the bile and pancreatic ducts is an invasive examination that is used to diagnose cholangitis, cholelithiasis, and reactive pancreatitis. The method is therapeutic and diagnostic, since during ERCP it is possible to remove small stones that clog the bile ducts.
- Blood tests . A blood test for the level of pancreatic lipase and amylase is aimed at studying the enzymatic activity of the pancreas. Liver tests are also being studied. Serological tests (ELISA, RIF) detect specific antibodies in case of suspected viral or bacterial intestinal infections.
Help before diagnosis
The yellow color of feces, caused by eating habits and observed against the background of normal health, disappears on its own after 2-3 days. In order not to overload the intestines during this period, it is advised to give up fatty and fried foods, alcohol. If a change in the color of the stool occurs against the background of diarrhea, abdominal pain, you should visit a specialist. To improve the condition, you can drink sorbents. The use of antidiarrheal agents is undesirable.
The yellowish color of feces is caused by various reasons, so the list of therapeutic measures is selected individually. An important stage of treatment is the observance of a special diet, which is based on stewed vegetables, meat and fish of low-fat varieties, cereals and soups. In chronic pathologies of the pancreas and liver, such a diet must be followed constantly. To treat diseases in which feces have a yellow color, the following drugs are prescribed:
- Sorbents . Activated charcoal preparations, smecta are designed to bind and remove toxins from the intestines. Medicines speed up recovery from toxic infections, help to cope with diarrhea, and improve digestive functions.
- Probiotics . With dysbacteriosis, bacterial overgrowth syndrome and side effects of pharmacotherapy, beneficial bacteria are taken that populate the large intestine and promote digestion. For a lasting effect, they are used in courses of at least 10 days.
- Enzymes . When inhibiting the exocrine function of the pancreas, drugs containing pancreatic enzymes are used. They eliminate the causes of yellow stools, stimulate the processes of abdominal digestion in the small intestine.
- Cholagogue preparations . Indicated in hepatobiliary pathology. They improve the chemical composition of bile and ensure its entry into the duodenum 12, which is required for the breakdown of fats. The color of the feces returns to normal after a couple of days after the start of treatment.
- Rehydration therapy products . All intestinal infections are accompanied by large fluid losses, for which there are oral solutions. They contain the optimal amount of salts and glucose, restore acid-base balance and electrolyte composition.
Why stool turns yellow
12 October 2022
Updated: October 12, 2022
Updated 12. 10
A change in the color of the stool is one of the symptoms by which diseases of the liver and other organs of the digestive system can be suspected. The most common complaint is yellow stools. We find out in which situations yellowish feces is considered a variant of the norm, and in which it requires a mandatory visit to a doctor and mandatory treatment.
- What affects the color of feces
- Reasons why feces change color
- What are the accompanying symptoms with yellow feces to pay attention to
- When is diagnosis needed if the feces turn yellow
- What treatment is needed when the stool is yellow
- Expert opinion
What affects the color of stool
Feces or feces are undigested remnants of food consumed by a person, which are formed during digestion. In addition to undigested food, they contain water and bacteria that inhabit the small and large intestines. Several factors influence the color and smell of feces:
- Age. The stool of a newborn differs in color, consistency, and smell from the stool of an adult.
- Nutrition. The color of the stool largely depends on what the person is. Everyone is well aware that eating beets changes the color of feces to red.
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. The color of feces is largely determined by the work of the digestive system, and failures in its work lead to a change in the color of feces.
Thus, the color of the stool is affected by age, dietary characteristics and the state of human health. Normal adult stools are pasty and brown in color.
Causes of discoloration of feces
Yellow stools are the most common complaint to see a doctor. Most often this is due to the following reasons:
Features of the diet
Yellow stools may be the result of eating foods with a lot of yellow pigments. These include sweet potatoes, carrots, spices with turmeric. Also, feces can change color if fermented milk products predominate in the diet.
Most often, a change in the color of the stool is caused by various liver diseases (cholecystitis, hepatitis, bile outflow disorders, inflammation of the gallbladder, gallstone disease), enzymatic insufficiency against the background of pancreatic diseases (pancreatitis, lack of production of digestive enzymes), intestinal and parasitic infections of the gastrointestinal tract.
Side effects of certain drugs
It can change color to yellow feces when taking anticancer and anti-tuberculosis drugs, some NSAIDs and hormonal pills based on estrogen or its derivatives.
A mushy, golden-colored stool is considered a variant of the norm in children of the first year of life. Such a chair is associated with the peculiarities of nutrition and the work of the gastrointestinal tract of infants, is not a pathology and does not require treatment.
Book an online consultation if you experience a change in stool color. Our doctors will help you determine the cause of such a change by phone or video chat, tell you when to see a doctor and what tests you need to pass before that.
What are the accompanying symptoms of yellow feces to pay attention to
Yellow feces caused by natural causes do not lead to additional changes in the stool itself and the development of unpleasant symptoms. However, a change in feces to yellow in an adult is caused by pathologies; other health problems may also be recorded in him. What do you need to pay attention to?
- Change in consistency. With many diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, there is a violation of the stool, so you need to pay attention to how the stool became (liquid or solid) after a color change.
- Number of bowel movements. Normally, their number varies from 3 per day to 3 times per week. If their number decreases or increases, this may indicate a particular disease.
- Color. The shade can also indicate the disease. For example, light yellow stools are associated with intestinal infections, white or pale yellow stools indicate problems with the pancreas, dark yellow stools indicate liver disease or a violation of the outflow of bile.
- Pain. The nature and localization of pain is also one of the diagnostic criteria. For example, pain in the left hypochondrium indicates problems with the pancreas, in the right hypochondrium – with the liver, throughout the abdomen – with the intestines.
- Nausea and vomiting. These symptoms accompany many diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. They can be differentiated by the frequency, volume and circumstances under which nausea and vomiting occur.
- Smell. It indicates failures in the normal processes of digestion. So yellow fetid stools are often observed in congestive processes and intestinal infections.
- Other symptoms. It is also important to pay attention to the presence or absence of shortness of breath, fever, heartburn, flatulence, general weakness, feeling of heaviness in the abdomen after eating, changes in appetite and eating habits.
By itself, a change in the color of the stool does not mean that a person has developed some kind of pathology or disease, so it is extremely important to pay attention to the accompanying symptoms and consult a doctor in time.
non-existing Item 46911 selected
When to diagnose if the faeces turn yellow
A change in the color of the stool does not always require a diagnosis. If a person feels well, nothing bothers him, the frequency and consistency of the stool does not change, then it is not necessary to consult a doctor. It is worth waiting and observing the state of health of a person and the color of his stool.
However, if any accompanying symptoms appear, it is imperative to consult a doctor in order to undergo a full diagnosis and establish the cause of the discoloration of the feces. To do this, carry out:
- taking a complete medical history, including a physical examination;
- tests – general analysis of urine and blood, analysis of feces for various indicators, tests to assess the functioning of the liver, intestines and pancreas;
- examinations – ultrasound of the abdominal organs, endoscopic examinations, x-rays with and without contrast, MRI and CT if necessary.
Based on the data obtained, a diagnosis is made and appropriate treatment is prescribed. In some cases, hospitalization may be required.
Important! Intestinal infections, in which the color of the stool changes to yellow, are especially dangerous in childhood and old age, so if an elderly person or child develops severe vomiting and diarrhea against the background of a change in stool, you need to take him to the hospital as soon as possible.
What treatment is needed when the stool is yellow
By itself, yellow stool does not require treatment. You need to treat the cause that led to yellowing of the feces. Depending on the pathology, it may be prescribed:
- Diet correction. All products with yellow pigment, dairy and fatty products are excluded.
- Sorbents and rehydration agents. They are prescribed for intestinal infections to cleanse the intestines of bacterial toxins and prevent dehydration.
- Enzymes. They are used for severe enzymatic deficiency.
- Hepatoprotectors and choleretic agents. Help improve liver flow and support the liver.
- Antibiotics and other antibacterial agents. They are prescribed for suspected bacterial infection.
- Antispasmodics, analgesics, antiemetics and antidiarrheals as symptomatic therapy.
After the main treatment, medications may be prescribed to restore the functioning of the intestines and other digestive organs. For this, diet therapy, the selection of pro- and probiotic agents can be used.
What does yellow stool mean?
A change in the color of feces may be the result of normal processes, for example, the use of foods with a large amount of yellow pigments, such as carrots or turmeric, or develop as a result of pathology of the organs and glands of the gastrointestinal tract.
Can an adult have bright yellow stools from food?
Yes, the color of the stool directly depends on what a person eats, so eating foods with a high content of dyes leads to a change in the color of feces. For example, beets turn stool red, while carrots and turmeric turn yellow.
Why does my baby have yellow mushy stools?
For babies of the first year of life, this stool color is a variant of the norm. This is due to the nutrition of predominantly breast milk and the peculiarities of the digestion of infants.
Why does the color of feces change in a woman?
In women, a change in the color of the stool may be associated with the intake of estrogens or their derivatives. If there are no other symptoms or changes, there is nothing to worry about. In itself, a change in the color of feces is not a pathology.
When should yellow stool be treated?
Treatment is necessary in cases where other symptoms appear against the background of a change in the color of the stool. The main ones are abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, changes in the frequency of bowel movements and the consistency of the stool itself.
The yellow color of feces in adults is one of the symptoms that may indicate diseases of the intestines, liver and pancreas. Such diseases are also indicated by other signs – nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, abdominal pain, and so on. In addition, yellow stools can be a consequence of dietary habits, side effects of medications, and an age-related feature.
We publish only verified information
Esakova Ekaterina Yurievna
general practitioner • gastroenterologist
Experience 4 years
Many years of experience in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. Recommendations, clarification of symptoms, recommendations for laboratory diagnostics, interpretation of tests and ultrasound results.
Tarasova L.V., Trukhan D.I. Diseases of the intestines. Clinic, diagnosis and treatment – 2013
Anokhina G. A. Diseases of the esophagus, stomach and intestines; Quorum – M., 2011.
Gastroenterology and hepatology. Clinical reference book; Practical medicine – M., 2012
Pregnancy and childbirth
Medicines and dietary supplements
Why does pyloric stenosis occur .