5 Colors for a Romantic Bedroom
With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, it’s a good time to revisit a previous piece on colors that help bring romantic ambience to a master bedroom. That story was one of the most popular of 2016, but many readers took issue with some of the color choices. Based on readers’ feedback, then, here are a few more romantic colors to consider.
Bespoke Fine Interiors
1. Glowing oranges. Many readers strongly disagreed with the selection of caramel as a romance-inducing color in the previous story. It was included in the mix due to a survey conducted in the U.K. in which respondents with caramel-colored bedrooms claimed to have the most sex. For those who said caramel was “too brown” for them, perhaps orange is an option.
Melody Jurick Designs, LLC
Jennifer Ott Design
Several of you, in fact, commented that a warm orange is your go-to hue to create an amorous vibe in your bedroom. While the first bedroom pictured has an orange wall color with a good bit of yellow in it, the orange wall in the second bedroom veers closer to red. Both hues are warm and luscious alternatives to caramel.
Orange paint colors to try: Indian Paint Brush from Behr or Honeybell from Benjamin Moore.
Kimberley Development Corporation
Artistic Interior Design/Amy N. Lee, ASID
2. Pretty plums and purples. Other romance-inducing hues mentioned by readers are shades of plum and purple. These appealing hues have a soothing, comforting quality to them. If you go for a darker shade, such as the colors shown above and at left, include some contrasting light hues and objects with a good bit of sheen to keep the vibe romantic and not gloomy.
Jennifer Ott Design
Purple paint colors to try: Pelt from Farrow & Ball or Wood Violet from Sherwin-Williams.
The New Design Project
Shanade McAllister-Fisher Design
3. Deep blues. While many of you stated a preference for warm colors to create an intimate and inviting atmosphere in your bedroom, quite a few piped up to say deep blues are favorites. The saturated blues used above and at left might feel too chilly for those residing in cold climates, but if the weather is hot or mild where you live, you can get away with cool colors like these in the bedroom.
Jennifer Ott Design
Blue paint colors to try: Dark Secret from Kelly-Moore or Smoke Blue from PPG Pittsburgh Paints.
Alair Homes Edmonton
Wallmark Custom Homes
4. Tantalizing teals. I was pleased to see a few shout-outs for teal as a romantic bedroom color. I like this bold blue-green hybrid because I think it adds a bit of unexpected zing to a master bedroom without being too high-energy. It’s an intense color on all four walls, so think about using it for accents only, as in the bedroom above, or limit the color to the headboard wall only, as shown at left. It’s the perfect burst of playful color in otherwise neutral spaces.
Jennifer Ott Design
Teal paint colors to try: Peacock Tail from Behr or Night Scape from Valspar.
Gary McBournie Inc.
Wall paint: Benjamin Moore’s Barista AF-175
Tai Ping Carpets
5. Earthy browns. Another favorite mentioned quite frequently is rich, warm shades of brown. As a neutral, brown can be called upon to serve as a background color to other zestier hues, such as the accents of orange in the image above and the coral color of the chair in the bedroom at left. Similar to the dark purple and plum colors, though, you want to balance dark brown with white or off-white elements so the color scheme doesn’t feel too heavy.
Jennifer Ott Design
Brown paint colors to try: Coffeehouse Chocolate from Benjamin Moore or Sable from Sherwin-Williams.
Jennifer Robin Interiors
Of course you can also inject rich brown tones around your bedroom through the generous use of wood elements. The wood-clad walls and ceiling in this bedroom really amp up the cozy and romantic vibe.
Tell us: What’s your favorite hue for bringing that lovin’ feeling to your bedroom?
Set the Mood: 4 Colors for a Romantic Bedroom
Browse the latest bedroom photos
Best Paint Colors for Bedrooms
Are you thinking of painting your bedroom and aren’t sure what color to use? It’s always difficult choosing a color, especially in a room that you want to be nice and peaceful. Today I’m sharing some popular bedroom paint colors with you as well as a few reasons why some colors work better for bedrooms than others.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. For full disclosure go here.
Best Paint Colors for Bedrooms
What color paint is best for a bedroom?
Blues, grays, and cool greens are good choices for a restful atmosphere in a bedroom.
Studies have shown that some colors are better than others for a good night’s sleep. If you’re looking for a calming and peaceful shade then you would want to use something with a cool undertone.
Darker colors and create a cocoon-like feeling. Bright and bold colors are best left for accents like throw blankets and pillows, but in the end, go with what makes you happy. That’s what really matters.
Keep reading for some beautiful bedroom colors shown in real homes.
Sherwin Williams Silver Strand
Here’s a nice soft gray bedroom painted with Sherwin Williams Silver Strand. Karin at Renovated Faith has used bolder colors on her pillows and bedding but the overall feeling of the room is calm and peaceful.
Benjamin Moore Blue Springs
This classic bedroom design by Bria Hammel Interiors features walls painted in Benjamin Moore Blue Springs. It’s a little more gray in reality than it looks in this photo. The gold starburst mirror and pink accents are beautiful in here.
Photo by Bria Hammel Interiors
Sherwin Williams Rhinestone Bedroom
Here’s a lovely, soft, cool color that looks great with the warm blush and wood accents. Roxanne at The Honeycomb Home used Sherwin Williams Rhinestone in this cozy bedroom.
The Honeycomb Home
Farrow and Ball Setting Plaster Bedroom
Want to feel warm all over in your bedroom? Then paint it with a blush color. This warm and cozy room has wall painted with Farrow and Ball Setting Plaster.
Sherwin Williams Accessible Beige
For a cozy farmhouse feel, Sherwin Williams Accessible Beige is an ideal color. Soft, warm, and neutral, it makes a nice background for wood accents, neutral linens, and pops of color in this bedroom suite.
Photo by Bret Franks Construction, Inc.
Bedroom painted with Sherwin Williams Agreeable Gray
For an even warmer color on the bedroom walls, try Sherwin Williams Agreeable Gray. It has enough color to stand on it’s own but still blends nicely with darker neutrals, lighter neutrals, and stronger accent colors. It’s one of the most popular greige paint colors used today.
Photo by Bria Hammel Interiors
Benjamin Moore Decorator’s White
If modern farmhouse style is the look you want, try Benjamin Moore Decorator’s White. It’s a classic white that’s fresh and crisp and contrasts beautifully with the various wood tones and black accents in this stunning bedroom. If you like whites and off whites you’ll love this post too: Best Benjamin Moore Whites & Off-Whites
Photo by Crisp Architects
Benjamin Moore Woodlawn Blue
For a serene and peaceful setting, a soft blue like Benjamin Moore Woodlawn Blue is a nice option. It’s a gray-green-blue and goes great with any style decor. Another gorgeous light blue/gray/green to consider is Benjamin Moore Quiet Moments.
Benjamin Moore Woodlawn Blue Bedroom
Using an accent color is a fun way to add interest and personality to a room. The dark teal accent paint in this bedroom from Making Manzanita gives a nice contrast to the subtle colors in the bedding and area rug.
Behr Ultra Pure White
Here’s a bedroom with a clean and crisp feeling from Love My Simple Home. The fresh Behr Pure White walls are perfectly complemented with the classic navy accents.
Love My Simple Home
Sherwin Williams Naval
For a room that feels like you’re wrapped up in a cozy cocoon, try using a deep color like Sherwin Williams Naval. In this room from South Georgia Style, the dark wall with white trim is timeless and elegant.
South Georgia Style
Benjamin Moore Paper White
Another room with white and navy, this one has a more casual, cabin look. The plaid accents and black wrought iron bed give it a modern farmhouse feeling. This cozy room with walls painted in Benjamin Moore Paper White is from Rambling Renovators.
Sherwin Williams Peppercorn
If you’re wanting a bedroom where you can go into a deep sleep, use a darker color like Sherwin Williams Peppercorn. Blackout curtains will also help keep the room dark and quiet and provide a restful sleep.
Photo by Rosewood Custom Builders
Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter
For a nice neutral color that goes with any style of decor, Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter is always a good choice.
MAB Mushroom Cream
MAB Mushroom Cream is a classic tan that will never go out of style.
Atta Girl Says
Here are a few ways to make your room a cozy retreat:
Elements of a cozy bedroom
- Layers – a quilt with a duvet folded at the bottom of the bed and a few extra throw pillows
- Soft textures – area rugs and curtains will not only soften the look of the room, they will also absorb sound and make the room quieter
- Upholstered headboard – an upholstered headboard is an inexpensive way to give your bedroom a cozy designer look. See my favorites here → Upholstered Headboards
- Bedside lighting – soft ambient light from lamps or sconces are ideal next to the bed
- Natural elements – add a plant, some branches, or flowers for a zen-like atmosphere
- Tidiness – keep things put away for a more relaxed setting
See some of my favorite, affordable bedroom furniture and decor finds here
→ Favorite Bedroom Furniture and Decor Finds
What’s your favorite paint color for bedrooms? Leave me a comment below and let me know!
More Paint Colors & Tips
See more favorite paint colors from your favorite home bloggers here:
16 Popular Paint Colors from your Favorite Home Bloggers
Interior colors| ECODOM|99
Colors in the interior
Color is one of the most important characteristics of what the human eye catches, so you need to pay special attention to it when designing the interior and choosing the design for your home. Properly selected color schemes will help you not only decorate the premises in accordance with your taste, but also feel at home as comfortable as possible.
The choice of colors for rooms is the most important task of interior design. It is the right chosen color scheme of the rooms that will pacify or inspire creative activity, and not the right one, on the contrary, will annoy and oppress.
In the long run, color affects a person the most. Neither the shape nor the design of the accessories affects the mood as much as the range of the interior. Therefore, it is worth considering to the smallest detail.
Of course, when choosing a color, one should take into account personal preferences, but one should not forget about the patterns that were noticed by scientists. Here you will be helped by knowledge about the harmonious combination of colors, about color preferences for a certain type of room.
Scheme No. 1. Complementary combination
Complementary, or well complementary, are colors that are located on opposite sides of the color wheel AND ttena. Their combination looks very lively and energetic, especially with maximum color saturation.
Scheme No. 2. Triad – a combination of 3 colors
A combination of 3 colors lying at the same distance from each other. Provides high contrast while maintaining harmony. Such a composition looks quite lively even when using pale and desaturated colors.
Basic rules for choosing interior colors
There are a few basic rules that should not be neglected when choosing colors for your home. Let’s look at them in more detail.
1. If the room is large, then warm shades in the interior will help to add coziness, they will also fill the room with light and add a good mood.
2. To visually expand the space of a small room, you need to choose cold light shades for interior decoration.
3. An important rule that applies in any room: decide on the main color, and then start to select the rest (in accordance with the characteristics of the main one). This will help to avoid a global mistake, when individually interior elements look good, but do not fit together in one room.
4. Choose colors according to your style. In modern and high-tech, some colors are preferred, for country, classic and Provence – others.
5. The color scheme will be significantly influenced by the texture of the material you choose. After all, a different texture can make the same color softer, deeper, or vice versa. But here is another rule that should not be neglected: the floor should be the most saturated, and the ceiling the lightest.
6. It is better to choose furniture slightly lighter than the floor, but darker than the color of the walls.
Interior color by room assignment
The first option that comes to mind for almost everyone is white and its shades. The color is versatile as it fits easily into many styles and pairs well with most other colors. The white kitchen symbolizes cleanliness and order. In addition, the calm color of the situation will not irritate the eyes. This is important for housewives who spend a lot of time in the kitchen. In combination with a small amount of bright contrasting details, such a kitchen will always look elegant.
Red is good for a spacious kitchen. Its properties within the framework of such a room include an increase in appetite. However, it is worth considering that the bright environment of the kitchen can quickly become boring. To avoid this problem, it is better to choose deep, rich red tones.
The most successful red color in the kitchen will be combined with metal, glass. If we talk about specific colors that match red in the kitchen – it’s white, black, metallic.
Orange. Pleasant, cheerful, sunny. An excellent choice if you want to keep your kitchen bright but cozy.
There are many colors for “collaboration”: green (and its shades), brown, white.
Blue as the main color is good for a hot room. If the window (s) of the kitchen are facing north, you should abandon such a color scheme, the room will seem uncomfortable and cold even at high temperatures.
Blue goes well with coral, yellow, orange, white.
Green. The first persistent association with this color is wildlife. Regarding the choice of the main color for the kitchen, it can be argued that it is a great option. After all, it has long been proven that the green color of soft shades contributes to good digestion.
Green color in the kitchen will look good in combination with white, yellow, blue.
Yellow in the kitchen. It is worth using it as the main one when the lighting is well thought out. Otherwise, the kitchen will look dull and uninteresting.
Good combinations for yellow in the kitchen are white, blue, silver.
Purple as the main color in the kitchen is quite a bold decision. It is original and always unusual in the interior. A purple kitchen will always look fresh and fashionable.
This color goes well with olive or ocher tones.
Bedroom colors should be chosen responsibly. After all, this is a place to rest, relax, sleep. For many modern people, the bedroom is the only haven for peace after a hard day’s work. It is worth considering this when planning the color scheme of the room.
One of the best colors for a bedroom is beige. It relieves eye fatigue, improves mood, allows you to relax. As a base color, it is very convenient, as it is easily combined with many other colors.
The most winning combinations are beige + white, beige + black, beige + brown, beige + green.
A bedroom in purple is most often the choice of a woman. In men, this color often evokes an analogy with lilac, pink. The color is independent and bold for the interior.
So that the bedroom does not seem dark or dull, purple should be diluted with white, light brown.
Lilac color – close to violet. However, it is easier to perceive and easier to select partner colors.
The most successful lilac color in the bedroom looks in combination with beige, white.
Green color in the bedroom is a symbol of cheerfulness and cheerfulness of its owner. Good for those who have to get up early for work. Fresh and bright greens will make you rise quickly and make the morning energetic. There are many combinations with green, it depends on the shade of the green itself.
If it is a bright pure tone, then it is worth picking up white, yellow, light brown, beige. Dark brown, blue, deep beige are better suited to deep green
Bedroom in blue is an option for romantics, dreamers. After all, it is he who reminds of the sea. The color as the main one in the bedroom is good in its properties. Blue helps to quickly relax, drive away heavy thoughts, relieve stress.
The blue color in the bedroom goes well with white, light green, red, light brown.
Black color for the bedroom is a very exotic option. Black shades look unusual and give luxury, sophistication to style. White, shades of brown will help to dilute the black color in the bedroom.
Option for bold natures – a combination of black with pink, bright lilac, lilac flowers.
In a sense, the living room is the visiting card of the whole house. This room carries several functions at once:
front room for receiving guests
family gathering place in the evenings
It is for this design of the living room that you should pay special attention. And the choice of colors for decoration plays a big role in this case.
A living room in pastel colors is a win-win choice. Playing on the contrast of colors will be inappropriate in such an interior; it is better to choose shades that are close in color palette.
Beige color will look great with coffee, brown, golden.
Gray, as the main color in the interior design of the living room, is a rather infrequent option. The most important thing when choosing it is shades. Light pearl gray tones give the room an air of austere sophistication, but dark ones threaten to make it dull and dull.
Gray goes well with orange, pink, black, some shades of green.
Green. It can be attributed to neutral, and therefore – to the successful options for the main color in the living room. The green color of deep noble shades will make the interior refined and even “rich”.
Good combinations for this color are brown, white, yellow.
Living room in lilac color is always fresh and elegant.
Perfectly with this color will be combined pearl, beige, brown, sand.
The main interior color is red. If you opted for it – be careful. In the role of the first color of the interior, it can “press” and look intrusive. In moderation, red will make the living room stylish and very fashionable.
Add to red brown, beige, white, gold, black, metal color.
The blue color in the design of the living room is usually chosen by calm, balanced people. This color in the right non-flashy shade can serve as the background of the room for a long time, because it is easy to perceive and unobtrusive.
Blue goes well with white, pearl, red, beige.
A few more tips on color combinations in the interior
Do not try to think through the design right away. First of all, decide on the main combination (base color + one or two additional ones). Everything that can become an addition – it may well “think” by the end of the design of the room.
Don’t reinvent the wheel. Use the advice of experts in the selection of colors for your home. Magazines, catalogs, color charts will help you make the right choice.
Choose the base colors that are pleasant and familiar to you. It’s better to experiment with details. After all, changing the color of walls or changing furniture is more difficult than replacing small interior details.
We hope that the information was useful to you.
How to choose a color for the bedroom: 24 perfect color combinations in the interior of the bedroom. What color to paint the walls in the bedroom.
Author Eva Stern Views 9 Published
Many people associate gray with a concrete wall – strength, reliability, protection. A little sunlight will not be superfluous in such a room. Remember that yellow is the brightest color in the palette, you should not overdo it with it. It is best to focus on fabrics: Blankets, curtains, paintings, pillows or rugs. Gray and yellow patterns also look interesting.
How to choose a color for a bedroom: 24 perfect color combinations for a bedroom interior
People spend almost a third of their lives in the bedroom: they relax, recharge their batteries after a tiring day. The design of this room begins with the choice of color combinations. It is important to correctly combine shades in order to achieve a comfortable, stylish and complete interior.
Best-Stroy offers you 24 perfect color combinations for your bedroom. In this room it will be pleasant to fall asleep and wake up.
Bedroom in white
Monochrome color symbolizes purity and nobility. Some consider it “hospital” and boring, but in reality, white has many shades: from bright white to pearl, milky, white and blue. The bedroom rarely has only white, you need to add bright accents.
White is a unique color. Many styles are “friends” with him:
White color visually expands the room, does not seem forced and can be combined with most color shades.
A white bedroom will never be gloomy and boring. Textured materials are the centerpiece of the room: three-dimensional paneling or Venetian stucco at the head of the bed, high-pile carpet on the floor, original fabrics and wallpaper.
This is important: in the bedroom, both wallpaper and furniture can be white. Use a contrasting color as an accent so the room doesn’t turn into a featureless box.
White + black
A combination that is always in style. This bedroom is calm and dynamic at the same time. If the background is white, the room will be softer, while black will add drama and depth. An interesting option is the combination of two shades in fabrics, decorative elements and accent walls. Zebra, polka dot, checkerboard or floral pattern look perfect.
White + Brown
A natural combination that perfectly relaxes and gives a pleasant feeling. The third color can be gold, green, turquoise or beige. Brown color is good because it does not attract attention. You can experiment with textures, patterns, and intricate designs. Warm brown should prevail in northern rooms, and white in light rooms.
White + Turquoise
Turquoise is a very cheerful combination and brings a touch of freshness. If desired, you can complement the tandem with dark brown, beige or yellow. In such a bedroom, it is worth experimenting with accents – unusual chandeliers, an originally designed wall at the head of the bed, fabrics with floral and geometric patterns. The ideal ratio is 30% turquoise and 70% white.
Bedroom wall color
People spend about 1/3 of their lives in the bedroom. It has long been known that colors affect performance, activity and relaxation, so it is important to choose the right shade for this intimate space. The color of the walls is determined not only by the taste of the owner of the house or apartment, but also by the parameters of the room, its level of illumination, the shade of the furniture and some other aspects.
What are the parameters of the room to focus on?
If the room is located on the sunny south side of the apartment or house, you should choose cooler shades for the walls. Light, soft colors create an artificial coolness in the room and do not take away natural light; a relaxing and favorable atmosphere for sleep and rest is created in the room. There are other possibilities:
- Painting the walls yellow in a sunlit room will make it stuffy and hot.
- For the south side, choose neutral white or grey, lavender, lemon, light blue, pistachio or aqua.
- For the bedroom on the north side, on the contrary, warm shades like milk and coffee, and the whole beige-brown range are suitable especially if the room is dark or small.
Choose shades of yellow, terracotta, gold and peach to make a room warm and bright.
The smaller the room, the lighter and brighter the walls should be. The main color and accents, when used correctly, can visually change the proportions of the bedroom: for a narrow room, choose vertical stripes on one of the walls; for a room with a low ceiling – vertical lines.
Make the bedroom visually wider by combining two or three shades of a cold and warm spectrum: one narrow wall is painted in a warm tone, and two wide walls in a cold one. Cold shades visually expand the walls and give the interior an elegant look, while warm shades make it cozy.
Number, size and arrangement of windows
The more windows, the lighter the room, which means you can play with the color of the walls and make them darker (gray, brown or even black). Designers advise to paint 1-2 walls in a dark color if you really want to and this allows natural light.
If the room has a small window, the walls should be very light.
Contrasting furniture looks good in a bright bedroom and vice versa in a dark one. Today, modern interiors have a single color scheme – dark walls combined with the same dark furniture.
The influence of shades on the human condition
Psychologists’ opinion about the color of the bedroom:
- Psychologists continue to argue about the white color of the walls in the bedroom: some consider it too cold and “hospital”, others say that it is ideal for relaxation and placing the right accents in the room. Those who advocate snow-white walls in the bedroom mention that it is necessary to bring pleasant shades into the interior, which will create a holistic image of an apartment or house.
- Light pastel shades like beige, milky, cream, ivory and muted lilac, blue and pink are the most favorable for the bedroom. Psychologists recommend using them in the design of the room and say that calm colors are conducive to relaxation, stress relief and fatigue in general. Being in such an environment, a person switches his attention to rest, his nervous system becomes less excited. Any muted shades have a positive effect on the human body and it is good if the most intimate room in the house is decorated in them. Colors can be in a single muted range or contrast against each other.
But don’t give in to the whirlwind and paint all 4 walls beige – warm up the bedroom with color accents. Psychologists advise combining milky and cream tones with white or brown, for example, painting several walls in one color and one or two in another.
How to start the process?
It is important to know how to properly prepare the walls for painting your bedroom interior. First think about the design of the room, fabrics, furniture, decor. Decide on a goal: just add new colors and freshen up the interior or create a project in a certain style.
Don’t choose purple, red, brown! These are “aggressive” tones that make you apathetic and depressed.
The biggest disadvantage of painting is the difficult preparation of the wall surface.
Before starting the procedure, the wall surface must be in perfect condition: it must be even and have a uniform structure.
Irregularities and irregularities attract attention, and all flaws become visible under a layer of paint.
This is how you prepare the wall before application:
- Remove completely old putty, plaster, wallpaper.
- Take out construction debris, brush off dust, tidy up the room.
- Depressions, holes, cracks should be puttied well, the surface should be leveled with alabaster plaster.
- Apply 2 – 3 coats of primer, dry each coat well – leave the room to ventilate for a couple of days.
- Apply masking tape around the perimeter.
- Mix the paint with the desired color in the required quantity.
Mix white water-based paint yourself or use a painting service at a DIY store. For self-painting, use water-based paint or contact the service center.
You won’t get the same shade the second time, so mix as much paint as you like.
All hard-to-reach places, such as corners, should be painted with a thin brush 3/4 immersed in the can.
It is more convenient to first paint the corners with a brush and then paint the main surface with a roller.
Popular colors and shades
A wide range of colors can be used to beautifully decorate the bedroom. Modern designers are not afraid to experiment with shades and combinations, and the result is very interesting work. Therefore, the following colors are considered modern:
White. White. A trend that will never go out of fashion and will never be forgotten. But think about light accents – otherwise your sleeping area will look like a hospital room.
White walls are a good backdrop for furniture and decor.
Gray walls go well with red, black and white accents.
Violet goes well with gray and many pastel colors.
Turquoise combines both warm and cold tones
Red, purple, bright orange do not contribute to rest and sleep: it is better to use them as accents. Pay attention to the age and preferences of the people who will occupy the bedroom: An older couple will not feel comfortable in rich turquoise, and a teenager in gray.
Bright, saturated colors for accents.
It is important not only to paint the walls, but also to choose the furniture: Dark surfaces go well with light furniture and vice versa.
Using water-based wall paint
Water-based wall paint is considered the most popular painting option. Modern compositions differ in their characteristics:
- They dry quickly – it only takes a couple of hours.
- Safe, non-toxic.
- No pungent smell – you can spend the night in the bedroom a couple of hours after work.
- Do not burn or ignite.
- UV resistant, won’t fade.
Water based paint is often used in children’s rooms, adult rooms and living rooms. It is easy to apply and leaves no stains. Thanks to a wide range of colors, you can choose the right shade for every taste.
Water-based paint easily hides small imperfections on the wall
70 Bedroom wall painting ideas.
A limited selection of wallpapers may not always meet your wishes and design preferences. In such cases, the idea arises to paint the walls. You can make them all in the same color or mix different shades. The right combination of colors and the original solution will meet even the wildest expectations.
When choosing the right combination of colors and method of painting the walls in the bedroom, it is necessary to take into account not only the preferences of the owners, but also the size of the room, the height of the ceiling, the number of window and door openings, the design of other surfaces in the room, the combination with furniture and fabric decor.
There are several options for painting the walls in the bedroom:
- Horizontal division is the easiest way. The wall is divided into parts and decorated in different colors. You can make two equal parts or increase one at the expense of the other. The so-called panels will look elegant when the color border passes just below the middle. The distinction can be made using a border or molding.
- Color inserts are a trend. Perfect for a glamorous or classic interior. First, the wall is painted in one color, and then a rectangular or square marking is made, which is decorated with darker paint.
- The striped wall is another trend of modern fashion. The stripes can be located in any direction. But there is a caveat: too narrow stripes will look very strict, and bright ones will be intrusive. You can make a combination of several related shades. This design is ideal for a retro interior.
- Single wall accent is bold and stylish. It will make the design of the bedroom original and help to get away from excessive saturation. One wall is painted in a bright color or one bright stripe is made, and the rest of the walls are done in neutral shades.
- Polka dots are a good idea not only for the bedroom, but also for a nursery or living room decorated in retro style. Peas are easily applied with a stencil.
- Complex coloring – involves the use of many shades. Usually performed in the form of an arc, zigzag or wave. These lines can follow the outlines of furniture or decor items.
The main rule of combined dyeing is a reasonable combination of colors.
There are 3 options:
- degrade – a combination of different shades of the same color:
- related shades – neutral, pastel colors, black and white;
- a combination of different colors, taking into account their saturation and assignment to cold or warm shades.
The following colors are best suited for the bedroom:
- Gray is perhaps the ideal “sleeping” color. The main thing is to choose the right shade: beautiful aristocratic, emphasizing the sense of taste and style of the owner. Its combination with almost any other color will look decent.
- White – thanks to its ability to get along with any shade, you can come up with the most original color combinations: from calm pastels to bright and juicy ones. The design of such a bedroom can also be both the simplest and ornately lush.
- Yellow is unique in its opposite properties: on the one hand, it energizes, and on the other hand, it relaxes. In order for yellow to show its soothing qualities, it is recommended to combine it with pale blue, gray or white.
What color to choose
The color of the walls of the bedroom, like the color of the furniture in the bedroom, has a great influence on our peace of mind and mood. Incorrectly chosen colors can cause sleep disturbances, chronic fatigue and anxiety. According to psychologists, the following colors guarantee healthy sleep and good mood:
- Pastel colors are a classic choice for many. It is believed that they have a calming effect on the psyche, relieve stress and set up for rest. Almost every color has a delicate pastel shade, so if you wish, you can decorate the bedroom in any color scheme.
- Classic style – beige, gray, brown, milky, ivory. The combination of these shades is a win-win option. Psychologists advise decorating a bedroom in this style if there is a lack of stability and confidence in your life. A morning spent in an atmosphere of respectability will set the mood for the whole day.
- Delicate cold shades – light blue, lavender, pistachio, aqua in combination with light gray, beige, white, cream. Recommended for rooms facing the sunny side. Helps create a feeling of coolness and freshness, which is very important for quality sleep.
- Warm colors – yellow, peach, terracotta, pink, gold. They are ideal for dark or cold rooms. Delicate shades will create an atmosphere of comfort, they are best used for small bedrooms. And for spacious ones, a rich, but not too bright, palette of colors is suitable.
- White color – it should be mentioned separately. There is an opinion that this is a bleak and cold color that is not suitable for the bedroom. But still, if you skillfully combine it with other shades and decorate it correctly, it will look very dignified.
Criterion of the cardinal direction
The cardinal direction facing the windows of the room influences the choice of colors for the bedroom. The right combination of colors compensates for the lack or, conversely, the excess of light.
The entire color spectrum is divided into cold and warm sides. Use shades with cool tones for the north side and correspondingly cold tones for the south side. With this design, the room will look harmonious and cozy.
Sometimes the light level in a room is too low, even if the windows face south. In this case, it is better to choose a bright design. This solution increases the space and compensates for the lack of light.
The personal wishes of the owner of the bedroom are the main selection criteria. However, if red and bright colors irritate you, it is better to choose pastel colors and soft options for the bedroom.
Favorable shades are orange, grey, light blue, indigo, yellow, green, blue, brown and beige. Especially if 60% is occupied by whites.
Delivery will be tomorrow.
Bedroom accent wall as a manifestation of individuality
The wall in the bedroom above the bed can be a showcase for creativity and fantasy, decorated with tiles, wood, fabrics, paintings, fake windows, frames and photographs.
Create an eye-catching accent in the bedroom with a bold decorative wall that stands out from the others and at the same time complements them harmoniously. An accent wall adds texture, shape, and color to the overall design of a room. The focal point can be completed with accessories such as sconces, wrought iron and flowers.
Bedroom alcove is often made from drywall at the head of the bed and is an excellent choice for updating the look of a room. It can be deep and become a sleeping place (with full immersion of the bed) or decorative with additional spotlights. A decorative niche has only an aesthetic function and is decorated with fabrics, photo wallpapers, plaster and mirrors.
The photo shows a bedroom with decorative niches covered with brown wallpaper. The headboard of the bed in soft leather panels creates a warm atmosphere and is combined with curtains and furniture.
3D wallpaper in the bedroom
This type of decoration is becoming more and more fashionable and replacing the traditional photo wallpaper. The 3D image can be single and look like a picture in a frame, or it can be placed on the entire wall, which is considered a typical option. The 3D image can have neon lighting, and the 3D LED photo wallpaper can change the image.
For the bedroom it is better to choose neutral images instead of portraits. This method will help you avoid the psychological discomfort of “peeping” out of the photo. Wardrobes or other furniture should not be placed next to the 3D wall, otherwise the effect of the painting will be lost.
Soft wall in the bedroom
The perfect solution for a corner room or when choosing a bed without a headboard. The wall can be upholstered in various forms, artificial leather or fabrics (suede, velvet, silk).
The filling can be foam rubber or synthetic fibers to improve sound insulation. Finishing options include draping, camouflaging, and creating soft tiles. Today it is fashionable to decorate the wall with soft panels of any shape with or without a pattern. The color of the soft wall can match or differ from the color of the furniture, adding a bright accent to the bedroom.
Bedroom wall color selection
Interior color is determined by furniture, flooring and walls, which should match or reflect each other.
- The color of the walls should match the furnishings.
- When choosing the color of the bedroom, remember that the furniture should be darker than the walls and lighter than the floor, and that up to 5 colors can be combined in one room.
The photo shows an orange bedroom with white furniture. The overhead headboard softens the brightness of the walls and harmonizes with the design of the room.
- White walls in the bedroom match both light and dark furniture. Requires an emphasis on details in a contrasting color, goes well with any style, expands the bedroom.
- Beige bedroom walls are very popular in bedroom interiors for their color versatility and creating a base for other colors. It is combined with all shades of beige, gray, brown, blue, turquoise and purple.
- The brown walls in the bedroom are suitable for light furniture, look original and do not require additional decoration. Of the accessories, a bright picture in white and gold tones would be appropriate.
In the photo, luxurious brown and white do not need a third color, this is a classic royal bedroom. Mirrors visually enlarge the space.
- Gray walls in the bedroom can be combined with gray patterns on the carpet, white furniture, there is no need to overload the bedroom with this color.
Wall color match with furniture
When designing a bedroom, it is important to ensure that all furnishings look cohesive. It is important to create a color scheme that matches the rest of the furniture.
Ideally, the color should be distributed throughout the room as follows:
The main colors are: Walls, ceilings, floors, large furniture.
Neutral shade matches the main one and can be used to decorate a wall, curtains, armchair or sofa.
Add color accents by choosing paintings, pillows, chandeliers, shelves – anything that sets the right mood and gives the bedroom a personality.
Bedroom furniture is selected according to the selected color scheme. If cold shades are used in the design, for example, black furniture is acceptable, with which you can place accents.
If monochrome combinations are used in the decor, they can be broken up with a contrasting headboard.
If the bedroom is furnished in light natural tones, light colors are acceptable.
Dark furniture is combined with light pastel colors and a light, delicate color palette.
How to match style and color
The choice of wall color largely depends on the stylistic direction.
For a classic bedroom, white, cream, pastel and gold tones should be preferred.
Gray, white and brown are well suited for modern, hi-tech, loft and minimalism.
If you choose ecological, African or Moroccan motifs, choose beige, gray, light brown in combination with natural green tones.
Soft pastels and earthy browns are an essential part of the country house style.
Gold with a hint of champagne, light shades will look harmoniously in baroque.
For your convenience, I have prepared a table of the most suitable shades for popular interior styles.
|Style name||Color chart|
|Classic||You can use different shades, but white is the main color.|
|Provence||Blue, pink, milky, light green, light green, light blue (dark blue).|
|Ecostyle||Brown, intense green (grass and leaves).|
|Hightech||White, black, metallic gray.|
|Baroque||All pastel shades.|
|Contemporary||Green, blue, beige and brown.|
|Minimalism||White, black, gray and brown, mostly solid colors.|
|Attic||Green, red, orange, blue, dark tones.|
|Country||Brown, sandy yellow, beige.|
The best colors for a small bedroom
Small bedrooms are characterized by spaciousness, which creates a feeling of relaxation, warmth and comfort. A small room is easier to furnish with comfort than a large and spacious one.
However, this design has its own peculiarities. For example, the wrong combination of colors can visually reduce an already small room.
Although there is an opinion that light colors should be used for a small bedroom, there is no universal solution. The choice of shades depends on personal preferences, sensitivity and temperament of the owners.
Among the most commonly used colors for decorating the bedroom, there are several options.
- White This option allows you to increase the space, make it airy and light. A room that is decorated with this color looks calm, serene, filled with light. However, white itself looks rather boring and sterile, so it definitely requires an addition of moderate shades.
- Pastel colors. These are soft, warm undertones that contribute to relaxation and the formation of a feeling of comfort. Pastel shades are well combined with each other, easily replaced one by another in accordance with the same tone and saturation. In addition, like white, they are able to expand the space. Among the most popular pastel colors are light gray, delicate peach, powdery pink, cream, etc. Light and light shades create a romantic atmosphere and add elegance to the interior.
- Dark colors. Although dark shades are rarely used for decorating small bedrooms, their competent use allows you to give the room a certain charm. So, a dark tone makes it possible to increase the depth of the room, due to which light furniture looks brighter and stands out more. Dark shades contribute to immersing people in a sound sleep and help to relax.