The Ultimate Guide to Choosing and Installing – Window Hardware Direct
Bifold doors are a popular choice for homeowners who want to maximize space and natural light in their homes. They are commonly used in areas like closets, pantries, and laundry rooms. But, before installing bifold doors, it’s essential to choose the right bifold door hardware. The hardware you choose can significantly impact the functionality and durability of your bifold doors. In this guide, we’ll take a closer look at bifold door hardware, including how to choose the right hardware and tips for installing and maintaining it.
Types of Bifold Door Hardware:
Bifold door hardware is available in a range of types, each with its unique functionality. Here are some of the most common types of bifold door hardware:
Top pivot hardware is used at the top of the bifold door to pivot it open and closed. This type of hardware is commonly used in smaller bifold doors like closet doors.
Bottom pivot hardware is installed at the bottom of the bifold door and is used to guide it along the track. This type of hardware is suitable for larger bifold doors.
Hinges are commonly used in pairs to attach bifold doors to the door frame. They are an excellent option for those who want a traditional look for their bifold doors.
The track is an essential component of bifold door hardware. It is used to guide the door along its path and keep it stable. The track can be installed on the top or bottom of the door frame, depending on the type of hardware used.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Bifold Door Hardware:
Choosing the right bifold door hardware is crucial for ensuring that your doors function correctly and last for years. Here are some factors to consider when choosing bifold door hardware:
Door Size and Weight:
The size and weight of your bifold door will impact the type of hardware you need. For larger doors, you will need heavier-duty hardware to support the weight of the door.
Style and Design:
Bifold door hardware comes in a range of styles and designs. You’ll want to choose hardware that matches the style of your home and complements your bifold doors.
Bifold door hardware needs to be durable to withstand regular use. Look for hardware made from high-quality materials that can withstand wear and tear.
Installing Bifold Door Hardware:
Installing bifold door hardware can seem like a daunting task, but with the right tools and steps, it can be done successfully. Here are some tips for installing bifold door hardware:
Before installing bifold door hardware, you’ll need the following tools:
- Power drill
- Measuring tape
Measuring and Marking:
The first step in installing bifold door hardware is measuring and marking the location where the hardware will be installed. Use a measuring tape to measure the distance from the top of the door frame to the center of the top pivot bracket. Next, measure the distance from the floor to the center of the bottom pivot bracket. Mark these locations on the door frame using a pencil.
Once you’ve marked the location of the hardware, it’s time to attach it to the door frame. Start by attaching the top pivot bracket to the top of the door frame using screws and a power drill. Next, attach the bottom pivot bracket to the bottom of the door frame using screws and a power drill. Finally, install the track along the top or bottom of the door frame, depending on the type of hardware you’re using.
Maintenance Tips for Bifold Door Hardware:
Proper maintenance of bifold door hardware is essential for ensuring that your doors function correctly and last for years. Here are some maintenance tips to keep in mind:
Regularly clean the hardware using a damp cloth to remove dirt and dust buildup. Avoid using harsh chemicals that can damage the hardware’s finish.
Lubricate the hardware with a silicone-based lubricant to ensure smooth operation. Apply the lubricant to the track, pivot points, and hinges.
Regularly inspect the hardware for signs of wear and tear. Look for loose screws, bent hardware, or damaged tracks. If you notice any issues, repair or replace the hardware as soon as possible.
FAQs About Bifold Door Hardware:
- What is the best material for bifold door hardware?
Bifold door hardware is available in a range of materials, including steel, brass, and aluminum. The best material for your bifold door hardware depends on your personal preference and the style of your home.
- Can bifold door hardware be replaced?
Yes, bifold door hardware can be replaced if it becomes damaged or outdated. To replace the hardware, follow the steps for removing the old hardware and installing the new hardware.
- Can bifold door hardware be installed on any type of door?
No, bifold door hardware is designed specifically for bifold doors and may not be suitable for other types of doors. Make sure you choose hardware that is designed for bifold doors.
Bifold door hardware is an essential component of bifold doors, and choosing the right hardware is crucial for ensuring that your doors function correctly and last for years. When choosing bifold door hardware, consider factors like door size and weight, style and design, and durability. When installing bifold door hardware, make sure you have the right tools and follow the necessary steps for a successful installation. Finally, regular maintenance and inspection of the hardware can help keep your bifold doors in top condition.
Find more bifold door hardware here!
How to Install Closet Bi-Fold Doors
How to Measure your Final Opening size for your Closet from Finish floor Inside Edge to Inside Edge
You want to measure your opening in at least two different places because the door opening may not be square.
Horizontal – between closet walls
Vertical – finish floor and top rail
Tools need it for sliding doors installation:
- Metric Allen wrench 4mm
- Metric Allen wrench 5mm
- Cordless drill and bits
- Aluminum saw
1. positioning for folding door acts as a door stop in the top track to keep door in closed position.
2. upper Bi-fold hinge sits in top track and allows door to fold.
3. top roller (includes pick-up element) guides door in top track.
4. lower Bi-fold hinge set + mounting plate allows door to fold.
5. center Bi-fold hinge hinge between door elements.
6. pin with catch bottom door stop.
7. folding door track for bi-fold guides door, ceiling-mounted only.
8. stopper for top track brake for top track.
DETAIL DRAWING BI-FOLD
1 sliding panel HINGE RIGHT
2 pivot panel HINGE RIGHT
3 screw together pivot panel with sliding panel (fig. backside HINGE RIGHT)
4 drill holes in ceiling/top of closet and mount folding door track horizontally (fig. w/o ceiling/top of closet)
5 mount positioning for folding door and upper bi-fold hinge
6 install door panels
7 mount top roller and handle
8 check level of folding door to folding door track, adjust with top roller screw (if required)
Install BI-FOLD TOP TRACK
Doors for built-in wardrobe: sliding, hinged and combined
Before choosing the type of door, calculate the usable area of the cabinet. Mentally place all things in sectors and shelves. This is necessary in order to further plan for possible reductions in the capacity of departments. Some types of valves take away the depth of the niche. Also, when designing, the load on the fittings of the facade structure is taken into account.
For built-in storage, sliding doors are mainly used
- Roller shutter
- Production materials
- Facade decor options
- Installation rules
method of fastening, materials of manufacture, dimensions. Each of them has its pros and cons. More and more companies offer customers to order a built-in wardrobe according to their own project. Already worked out door systems are taken as a basis, but the design of the entire structure and its zoning remains at the discretion of the client.
The classic sliding panels for enclosing spaces. They produce single and double-leaf models with or without locks.
The advantages include:
- simplicity of design – the absence of rails, hidden shafts and mechanisms facilitates installation, operation and repair;
- quick access to all compartments in the niche – the doors open completely, allowing you to see all areas.
Among the disadvantages are the dimensions of the doors, which complicate installation in small and narrow rooms. Such doors are installed on cabinets in large rooms – bedroom, living room, hall.
The narrower the swing door, the tighter space you can install the wardrobe.
Sliding models are in harmony with any interior, suitable for installation on cabinets built into narrow aisles and small rooms. This is the best option for installation in the hallway.
According to the type of production compartments are:
- Suspended – the doors are fixed on the supporting beam in the upper part directly into the opening or on the wall. The canvas with this installation is a few centimeters from the wall. The guides are hidden by a casing or left open.
- Cassette – the rails go into the walls, which allows you to open the cabinet completely. In order not to gouge a part of the wall under the sashes, they construct a partition from profiles or plan in advance the placement of built-in furniture during construction. Compared to other types of coupes, installing cassettes will cost more.
- With two rails – rails are placed in the lower and upper parts of the niche.
The disadvantages include the reduction of the useful area of the cabinet due to the thickness of the doors. The more doors, the less capacity of shelves and compartments. The maximum number of movable canvases is 5, the depth of the cabinet will be reduced by 30 cm. For this reason, the compartment is installed on built-in furniture with a depth of 50 cm or more. The content of a niche is always available to a maximum of half.
The most common type of wardrobe doors
These enclosing devices can hardly be called doors. They are blinds made of rigid slats. A shaft is installed in the cabinet or nearby, onto which the lamellas are wound when they are opened. In many models, the shaft is closed with a box.
Roller shutters are actuated in one of three ways:
- Inertial spring drive – doors are closed with a lock or bolts. When they are opened, the blinds rise without additional mechanisms and efforts. Models vary in shaft size and load capacity.
- Belt device – the shaft rotates when the rope is raised or lowered. The lamella movement limiter is activated immediately after the cord stops. You can open the cabinet halfway or completely.
- Electric motor – actuated by pressing a button. The kit includes remote controls for remote control.
Woodband furniture company technologist
The choice between mechanisms depends only on material possibilities and preferences. When buying an electric motor, pay attention to its power and service life.
The box with the shaft is installed inside or outside the cabinet in its upper or side part. They produce models with horizontal, vertical, arcuate movement of the slats. With an internal location of the drive, the usable area of \u200b\u200bfurniture is reduced, with an external one, the aesthetics are somewhat disturbed.
Advantages of roller shutters:
- lack of visible fittings, which creates the impression of unity with the wall;
- minimalism – the entire design of roller shutters takes up to 40% less space compared to other types, which allows them to be installed in rooms with a limited area;
- noiselessness – no creaking, knocking, clapping;
- fixed in any position;
- free access – the blinds open completely, which distinguishes them from the coupé.
It is difficult to single out the disadvantages of roller shutters, but there are problems that users face. These are metal strips untreated with anti-corrosion agents and an increased load on the structure. When choosing, it is calculated that the load capacity of the drive is greater than the weight of the shutters.
This is a transition between swing and sliding models. The mechanism of action resembles a musical instrument of the same name. Installed in small rooms. Folding doors are almost supplanted by other varieties due to fragility. They are cheaper and less reliable than coupes due to the many movable connections, but are more space efficient than swing options.
The tightness of the harmonica is quite low. Because of this, things when installing such a system are most prone to dusting. It is especially important to take this point into account when choosing doors for built-in furniture in the kitchen, bathroom, toilet. Seals are attached to the bottom of the doors to protect the cabinet from dirt.
For large wall-mounted cabinets, different door options are combined. This allows you to rationally use the space of the room and a niche for storing things. For example, the outerwear compartment closes on movable panels, the trouser compartment closes on an accordion, and the mezzanine closes on hinged ones.
Materials and decorations can be combined with various door variants. Glass doors can be adjacent to wooden or metal ones, zigzag pattern cutting with vertical, etc.
For production use:
- Wood – characterized by durability, environmental friendliness, resistance to mechanical stress. Suitable for swing models only. Produced from spruce, pine, fir, oak, ash, cedar. The disadvantage compared to other types is the large weight of the valves. This does not allow doors to be mounted on cabinets made of weaker elements such as plywood. Veneer is a type of natural wood material. It is used mainly for finishing chipboard, but small doors are also made from it. The disadvantage of veneer is its fragility.
- Chipboard – boards made from waste wood with the addition of formaldehyde resins. They endure the impact of water, in appearance they are similar to wood products. The presence of formaldehyde in the composition can be called a significant minus of the plates.
- MDF is another material obtained by processing wood. The technology of its production is distinguished by the addition of gentle synthetic compounds in comparison with chipboard. MDF is flexible, which allows you to give the sashes concave and convex shapes. Like wood-based panels, it is used in the manufacture of sashes for hinged, folding and sliding doors.
- Glasses and mirrors – a material for saving space and visually increasing space. Most popular in combined models. Inserts are used in the manufacture of accordion doors, compartments, swing doors. It must be borne in mind that there are norms for the use of glass for sashes of different types. The material must be well hardened and covered with a protective film to prevent injury.
- Metal – mainly used for making roller shutters. The choice problem is the difficulty in assessing how well the material is processed. If it is not covered with anti-corrosion agents, it will soon rust and become unusable.
Basic materials for the manufacture of doors
Roller shutters are also made of polypropylene, plastic. They are resistant to moisture, but have a minimum strength. They are used for furniture in bathrooms, showers and damp rooms.
Built-in wardrobe doors can be made by yourself. The article “Making doors with your own hands” will help with this.
Front decor options
Colors can be varied on all cabinets. To do this, apply:
- Lacobel inserts – are frosted glass. The canvas is dyed in various colors. It is possible to apply sandblasting patterns and finished sashes with images. Suitable for compartments with books, children’s toys.
- Materials imitating wood, stone, leather, which looks very expensive.
- Photo printing – used on all types, even on roller shutters, for which the previous methods are not suitable.
- A combination of doors on one cabinet is also a decor option.
The cheapest decor element is upholstery with fabrics, wallpapering, drawing with a brush. This can be applied independently without significant financial losses. A sandblasted image on a mirror surface will cost more.
Installation of doors depends on their type:
- Swing doors are the most demanding on the opening geometry. Due to differences of 2-3 cm, they warp. Therefore, for the main sections in a niche, they are used if it is impossible to install sliding options. You need to attach to a partition with a thickness of 70-80 mm. First, wind the lower loops, then the upper ones. They put sashes on them.
- Accordion – the guide is attached to the top shelf (ceiling) of the cabinet when opened horizontally, to the side wall – when opened vertically. The roller is attached to the sash and inserted into the rail.
- Coupe – top rails are mounted on a leveled floor. The lower ones are applied as they should lie, but do not fix. Insert the door, check its operation, the absence of gaps near the wall when closing. The position of the lower guides is corrected, the sash is removed and the rail is attached. Complete the process by installing all the canvases.
- Roller shutters – the box is opened for access to the shaft. The bottom and top of the rotation system are folded, the box is inserted into the holes of the side profiles. Tension the spring by turning the shaft 5-6 times, insert the canvas. Mount the cover of the box in place, install the fittings, attach the roller shutter to the wall.
Doors are easy to install. But there are nuances that must be taken into account. It is important to correctly calculate the number of valves, plan their location by compartment. When drawing up your own drawing, you can use a regular calculator or online programs.
Proper installation of doors
The functionality and service life of the door largely depends on the correct choice and installation of auxiliary parts. On our website there is a separate article with a detailed description of fittings . Let’s stop only on a complete set of ready models.
Each type of built-in furniture contains different spare parts:
- Coupe – opening limiters, bottom and top rails, fastening system with wheels and seals on them, handles, closers.
- Accordion – accessories are the same as for sliding models. The difference is that the components of the canvas are connected by separate fasteners. End parts are supplied with protective overlays.
- Swing – hidden, mortise or overhead hinges, handles, closers.
- Sliding – guide and protective profiles, shaft, box with covers, RG bolt, side and SL locks, spring-inertial mechanism. When buying an automatic system, the kit includes an electric motor, a starting gearbox, and a remote control. The plug and socket must be purchased separately.
Fittings sold separately, allowing you to create your own designs. The complexity of its installation is only in the correct calculations of the load on the fasteners and mechanisms.
Example of fittings for compartment doors.
Built-in wardrobes are used in modern apartments to save space. Technology allows you to design stylish and beautiful types of furniture for the entire wall or only for a certain part. You can create drawings and contact companies that produce custom-made interior items. Choosing a model is a matter of your own priorities, the availability of free space and financial capabilities.
Do-it-yourself installation of interior compartment doors: video, photos in the interior
Delicate premises of an apartment or house require reliable isolation from the rest of the space. The so-called sanitary doors, endowed by designers and manufacturers with a set of specific qualities characteristic only of them, are used to isolate both the room itself and the engineering communications located in it.
Both the toilet and the bathroom, and the sanitary cabinet located in them, hiding the communications installed here, require the use of specific sanitary structures that meet special, sometimes conflicting requirements to ensure maximum comfort.
Plumbing doors for bathrooms and toilets
Simple wooden structures of dubious quality, installed in bathrooms in the Soviet era, have long remained only in the memories of the older generation, and they were replaced by sanitary doors that have an excellent appearance and a set of special characteristics:
- Excellent sound insulation, which serves as an excellent barrier to noise and sounds characteristic of such premises;
- Increased moisture resistance and the ability to endure the effects of high humidity and temperature fluctuations without changing the appearance and linear dimensions;
- Highly hygienic coating, contributing to the preservation of the established sanitary background in the room;
- Chemical inertness of protective coatings, allowing the use of sufficiently aggressive detergents or disinfectants.
- Possibility of installing ventilation devices and separate entrances for pets, allowing them to visit the toilet without the help of their owners.
Sanitary doors for bathrooms and toilets differ not only in their qualities, but also have dimensions that take into account all the ergonomic features of visiting such premises and the planning features of some typical houses, which is especially important for owners of Soviet housing developments. Some models for separate bathrooms have a width of 550 mm and are installed on a common frame, which provides convenient access to the room and minimal costs for its re-equipment during repairs, when a modern door fits exactly into the existing opening.
Materials for doors to the bathroom or toilet
In the modern production program of many foreign and domestic manufacturers that produce sanitary doors for the bathroom and toilet, only moisture-resistant materials are used:
- Glass used both alone and in combination with specially shaped aluminum profiles;
- Rigid PVC, most commonly used for toilet doors in public areas;
- High-density fiberboard, moisture resistant;
- Hardwood, carefully selected and dried and treated with special preservatives.
Glass structures have excellent moisture resistance, chemical inertness and, with a sufficiently large thickness, have good sound and heat insulating properties, and modern glass processing methods allow solving the most daring design tasks. Heat treatment of glass makes it possible to make structures safe even if they are damaged. The methods of diamond processing of glass have significantly expanded the range of fittings and fasteners used. Therefore, the glass door is increasingly used in premises of any purpose.
Solid polyvinyl chloride, familiar to everyone from plastic windows, is widely used for the manufacture of sanitary doors in public areas with high traffic and increased sanitary requirements. The wide distribution of such doors was the ease of manufacture and affordable price.
Resin high density fibreboard, which is widely used in the manufacture of sanitary ware, has a more refined appearance, which is clearly visible in the photo at a naturally higher price. The laminating film that covers such structures in a vacuum chamber serves as an excellent barrier to destructive influences and very reliably conveys the texture and appearance of natural wood or stone. By choosing sanitary doors to the toilet or bathroom from high-strength HDF board, you can be sure of the high quality and durability of these products.
And, of course, classic wooden doors made of oak, beech or mahogany. A special gluing and processing technology guarantees the absence of warping and dimensional changes during prolonged exposure to moisture and temperature, and antiseptic impregnations prevent the development of pathogenic microorganisms. Classic carved wooden structures can decorate any, even the most sophisticated interior.
Installation of sanitary doors in the premises
When installing doors in the premises of a house or apartment, the rule is observed when their height is absolutely the same, regardless of the place of their installation. Installation of plumbing doors is carried out slightly above the floor level to prevent water from entering the room in the event of various kinds of leaks, which entails a slight decrease in the height of the doors, which is 1900 mm, which is taken into account in the manufacture. Installing plumbing doors into existing openings may require only minor adjustments to the openings, which is easy to do with even hand tools.
A toilet in an apartment building is exactly the place where all engineering communications related to water supply and sanitation pass and which do not add beauty to the interior decoration of the premises. To eliminate this drawback and provide unhindered access to communications, a sanitary cabinet is used, which is installed behind the toilet. The dimensions of the cabinet allow you to minimize the space used and get the most convenient access to all communications. Doors for sanitary cabinets should be installed in such a way that they take up minimal space in the room, so their dimensions are very carefully selected depending on the size and configuration of the toilet room.