Recent Projects | Ward Demolition
Recent Projects | Ward Demolition
Tel: 01159 755 554 Email:
Our Industry today is as much about separating, sorting and recycling as it is about demolition. Our recent projects have been really good examples of this with almost every material having its own method of disposal or recycling to specialist waste and material handling sites throughout the UK.
Various Demolition Projects 5
Location: East Midlands
A lot has happened over the last few years, we have completed demolition projects of major industrial sites down to individual dwellings.
The current climate, due to Covid-19, is proving challenging but we’ve always proved adaptable.
Below are a few images of projects we’ve completed of late, in this, our 25th year of trading.
Various Demolition Projects 4
Location: East Midlands
Various projects that we have successfully completed between 2019 and 2021
The images show the structure before demolition and the condition of the site when we have completed.
The projects have been varied and have included, Bungalows, Country Houses, Conservatories, internal Mezzanine Floors etc.
Various Demolition Projects 3
Location: East Midlands
Our many varied projects have led us to different types of demolition of late; from houses where many of the construction materials have been reclaimed, to alterations and strip outs to commercial and industrial premises.
Beedles Lake Golf Club
Location: East Goscote
A tricky venture at Beedles Lake Golf Club, where Ward Demolition dismantled a large conservatory while the new build continued above us.
Demolition of Gooch Autos
Before and after photos of the demolition and clearance work at Gooch Autos.
Demolition of Dunn Line Bus Depot
There had been a works on the site of the Dunn Line bus depot for over a century.
Demolition of McVities Biscuit Works
We achieved heavy demolition adjacent residential properties at McVities with the minimum of disruption. The foundations at McVities proved formidable! This had to be thorough down to five metres below slab level and had a contract value close to half a million pounds.
Demolition of 3M Factory
The former 3M factory on Wharncliffe Road, Loughborough was an interesting project as it was adjacent the famous and historical Great Central Railway. It was also the first project for one of our new demolition spec Volvo excavators.
Demolition of Forward Signs
Demolishing Forward Signs on Station Road Ilkeston was particularly challenging as half the building was to be retained and remained occupied. We had to operate in very tight confines throughout.
Demolition of Glenway Products Offices
All windows were removed prior to the demolition to prevent broken glass showering neighbouring properties. Due to the close proximity of these residential properties it was important that the control of dust was also forefront in our minds.
Demolition of The Jarvis Porter Building
Location: Hinckley, Leicestershire
The wide expanse of this huge packaging warehouse with its significant M+E in the roof voids proved the perfect environment for our Demolition Spec Excavators fitted with specialist attachments.
Demolition of BETAFENCE Works
Buildings of all shapes, sizes and construction cover the 14 acres of industrial works at BETAFENCE and present us with many challenges. Not least making the project self financing and showing our client a profit from the estimated scrap yield of 6000 tons.
Various Demolition Projects 1
The last few months have seen us tackle a wide range of demolition projects.
Various Demolition Projects 2
The last few months have seen us tackle a wide range of demolition projects.
Slab; clean and swept!
We have just finished a project in Narborough to add to our other successes this year in Bulwell, Swadlincote and West Bridgford. We’re nearly half way through the year and have projects planned in Ravenshead and Alfreton to look forward to as well as work ongoing with the Crusher. Onwards and upwards as they say!
14 Castle Boulevard, Nottingham – Demolition
This was completed ahead of programme and within budget. A busy site with lots of other trades and not a lot of room. It was managed well though and we didn’t encounter any major problems with storage of reclaimed items or deliveries and collections. As always we left another satisfied Client.
For more information or enquiries about our demolition services please contact Ward Demolition:
01159 755 554 /
3rd Party Data Processors
Demolition Contractors Nottingham | Down to Earth Demolition
The Demolition Experts
Complete Demolition Service
Down to Earth Demolition are leading demolition contractors providing a variety of comprehensive demolition services, asbestos removal and concrete crushing services.
Based in Nottingham, we operate at both residential and commercial properties across Nottingham, the East Midlands, as well as Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, Cambridgeshire and the whole of the UK.
Certified Demolition & Asbestos Removal Contractors Nottingham & UK
As a fully certified and insured company, at Down to Earth Demolition we offer competitive prices to all our customers, working to deliver a high quality service on a variety of projects.
From small residential demolitions to much larger commercial projects, no job is too big or too small for our dedicated team of industry professionals, with 30 years of combined experience allowing us to see projects right the way through from start to finish.
We are a family-run company who maintain a small-partnership ethos, providing a personal feel whilst using the professional skills and machinery more commonly used by firms on a larger scale. This means that at Down to Earth Demolition, we really do have the best of both worlds, which is how we have built up the positive reputation we are proud to hold today.
For more information on our services, or to arrange for one of our fully comprehensive services at your commercial or residential property, get in touch with our friendly team today, and let us get your project off the ground.
Have a look through our testimonials and see what our customers have had to say about our demolition, asbestos removal and aggregate supply services.
I have always found them to be a
professional company and would be happy to appoint them
of future projects…
Read full testimonial
Lidle UK GmbH Various Locations
We have known and worked well with Down to Earth Demolition Ltd for over 5 years. In this time they have provided us helpful service…
Read full testimonial
Darren Middleton – Wates Construction LtdVarious Locations
Lidl UK Gmbh
Steel foundry Demolition
Lidl UK Gmbh
Steel foundry Demolition
You don’t have to do a thing! We take care of the complete project 0800 086 2530.
Organise asbestos surveys
Obtain quotation for removal
Call us for free and friendly advice
Nottingham is a city and unitary region of the ceremonial county of Nottinghamshire in central England. Nottingham is located on the banks of the River Trent, 175 km northwest of London. In the British mind, Nottingham is associated primarily with the legend of Robin Hood and the production of lace.
Like many other parts of England, the climate is temperate maritime, with warm winters and cool summer months. The decisive role in its formation is played by warm air masses formed over the Gulf Stream. Average January temperature: +3.6°С; average July temperature: +16.4°С. Annual rainfall: 697 mm; seasonal distribution is relatively even.
According to researchers, the first settlement on the territory of modern Nottingham appeared before the arrival of the Romans. After the end of the Roman occupation in Britain, several independent Brythonic kingdoms were created. From the second half of the 5th to the beginning of the 7th century AD. the local lands were part of the kingdom of Elmet, and in the Anglo-Saxon period, around 600 AD, they belonged to Mercia. At that time, the city was known as Tigguo Kobauk, which means “land of cave dwellings”. These dwellings were artificial grottoes carved into the sandstone rock near the Trent. Having come under the rule of the Saxon leader Snot, the settlement received a new name – Snottingham (Snotta inga ham – the settlement of the tribe of Snot). The location was quite successful – here was the nearest crossing to the mouth of the Trent, and the section of the river located between Snottingham and the mouth was navigable. In 867, Snottingham was captured by the Vikings, and soon became one of the five burghs – the fortified cities of the Danelaw. The city was surrounded by a moat and an earthen rampart with a palisade.
The Domesday Book refers to the town as “Snottingham” and “Snottingham”. In 920, the English troops managed to recapture the city. A bridge was soon built across the Trent. In 1067, by order of William the Conqueror, Nottingham Castle was built on the banks of the Trent, in the next century the castle was rebuilt from stone. The Anglo-Saxon settlement became the English city of Nottingham, which housed the town hall and courts. Another settlement appeared opposite Nottingham, it grew on a hill around the castle. Soon the space between the two settlements was built up, the city expanded, and the market square became its central part. The market was held weekly, and the annual fairs brought together merchants and buyers from different parts of Nottinghamshire and Yorkshire. Since 1284 fairs have been held twice a year. During this period, the production of woolen fabrics occupied key positions in the urban economy. On the banks of the river there were felters. The artisans who had workshops in Nottingham also included tilers, goldsmiths, brewers, bakers, carpenters, shoemakers, blacksmiths, charioteers and bow and arrow makers.
In 1276 a Carmelite monastery was founded in Nottingham. In the Middle Ages, the St. Thomas Hospital operated in the city, the staff of which consisted of monks; outside the city gates were the leper colony of St. Leonard and the leper colony of the Virgin Mary. At the time of the Norman conquest, the city had approximately 1,500 inhabitants. By the 14th century, this figure had grown to 3,000. In the 12th and 13th centuries, there was a large Jewish diaspora in Nottingham, but in 1290 the Jews of Nottingham, like all other Jews living in England, were expelled from the country. Letter granted to Nottingham in 1449year, gave citizens the right to choose local governments. At the same time, the castle was separated from the city and became a separate parish in Nottinghamshire. In the same year, the first Sheriff of Nottingham, or rather, the sheriffs, began to perform their duties – initially, the duties of the sheriff were simultaneously performed by two townspeople.
In 1513 a grammar school was opened in the city. The period of the dissolution of the monasteries in the era of the reign of Henry VIII was marked by the closure of Nottingham monasteries and leper colonies. In the 15th-16th centuries, the production of woolen fabrics fell into decline, and in the 17th it was followed by tanning. These traditional branches of urban industry were replaced by the production of silk and woolen knitwear, which entered its heyday at the end of the 17th century. The glass industry and malt production developed intensively. In the 17th century, many houses were rebuilt from brick.
The population grew steadily despite several plagues that claimed the lives of many citizens in the 16th century and the first half of the following century. According to researchers, at the end of the 16th century, there were from 3,500 to 4,000 inhabitants in Nottingham. By the beginning of the 18th century, the number of townspeople may have approached the mark of 5 thousand. In 1642, when the conflict between the monarch and Parliament turned into an armed confrontation, Charles I, raising the standard at Nottingham Castle, called on the townspeople to stand up for their banners, but Nottingham was soon occupied by parliamentary troops, who held it until the end of the war, successfully repelling royalist attacks. .
In 1651, after the end of the war, Parliament ordered the demolition of Nottingham Castle. Two decades later, the Duke of Newcastle became the owner of the site; in 1979 a manor was built here (this complex of buildings is currently called Nottingham Castle). At the end of the 17th century, the elegant appearance of Nottingham with brick walls and tiled roofs delighted visitors to the city. According to contemporaries, the scope and quality of construction made it look like London. At the beginning of the XVIII century, Daniel Defoe called Nottingham one of the most beautiful English cities. Pottery has developed in the city for several centuries. At the end of the 17th century, the production of glazed ceramics was established. In the 18th century, the rapid development of the knitwear industry continued. By the middle of the century, the population exceeded 10 thousand, and by the beginning of the next century it had exceeded 28,000. During these years, the streets were beautified, the city infrastructure and public utilities were improved: a water conduit of the city water supply system was laid, at the beginning of the 19th century, the use of gas lamps for street lighting. The first theater was built in 1760. In 1782, the city general hospital accepted its first patients.
During the Industrial Revolution, the textile industry became the engine of urban economic development. Nottingham lace production was known far beyond the borders of the United Kingdom. At the beginning of the 19th century, the process of mechanization of production accelerated. In 1809, the first machines for making lace appeared. The growth of industry caused an influx of labor migrants. In the 19th century, the population increased rapidly. The rate of housing construction and the formation of urban infrastructure lagged far behind the rate of growth in the number of inhabitants, and, according to eyewitnesses, throughout the British Empire, the Nottingham slums were second only to India in terms of poverty and unsanitary conditions. The cholera epidemic that broke out in 1833 claimed the lives of 330 citizens. In 1831, the inhabitants of the slums raised a riot, the cause of which was dissatisfaction with the actions of the Duke of Newcastle, who opposed the Reform Act. The rebels set fire to the duke’s estate – Nottingham Castle. The castle lay in ruins for almost half a century – only 44 years later, having become the property of the city administration, it was rebuilt. After reconstruction, a museum and a painting gallery were housed here. In 1839opened the first railway station. Rail links linked Nottingham with Derby. Another station appeared in 1948, when a direct connection to Lincoln and some other cities was opened. In addition to the production of lace, in the 19th century, the production of bicycles began (the Raleigh Bicycle company), and the pharmaceutical industry developed. In 1849, John Booth opened a small pharmacy on Goose Gate Street. Together with his wife, he collected herbs and prepared medicines. His son, Jesse Booth, turned a small family business called Boots the Chemists into one of the largest companies in the British pharmaceutical industry. In the 30s of the twentieth century, it included about 1,000 pharmacies. In 1887, Frank Bowden launched the production of bicycles. At the beginning of the next century, his bicycle factory produced about 50,000 bicycles a year. In 1828, William Wright opened a small tobacco factory in Nottingham. In 1877, the new owner of the plant, John Player, significantly expanded production. A few decades later, the John Player brand gained international fame.
During the 19th century, Nottingham grew, annexing nearby settlements. This process accelerated in 1845 when several surrounding areas were given over to development. In the second half of the century, the living conditions of the broad masses of the urban population began to gradually change for the better. The city water supply system, having become the property of local governments, was expanded and improved; a regular law enforcement service was formed, several parks and recreational areas were laid. In accordance with the Local Government Act, passed in 1888, in 1889th Nottingham received the status of city-county (county borough). Official city status was granted to Nottingham in 1897. In 1900, Victoria railway station opened and a rail link to London was established. The city’s first public library was built in 1868; in 1881 University College was founded.
At the beginning of the next century, the urban public transport system was improved: in 1901, the first electric trams appeared on the streets of the city. At 1928, the first Lord Mayor of Nottingham took office. Some of the largest construction projects completed in the 1920s and 1930s include the construction of a ring road and municipal housing, with several new residential areas popping up to the north of the city. The tram routes were abolished in 1936 when the tram was replaced by the bus.
During World War II, city enterprises carried out defense orders. For this reason, Nottingham was repeatedly targeted by Luftwaffe air raids. A series of massive air raids carried out on May 1941 years old, entered the history of the city under the name “Nottingham Blitz”. During one of them, about 140 citizens died, approximately 4,500 houses were partially or completely destroyed. During this period, the caves in the castle rock were used as bomb shelters.
After the Second World War, the textile sector went into complete decline. Local producers have lost out in the competition with South Asian enterprises. Since the heyday of the textile industry in the city, many majestic factory buildings have been preserved, which were subsequently reconstructed with a change in functional purpose. At 19On the 51st, another expansion of the city boundaries took place – Clifton and Wilford were annexed to Nottingham. Among the urban development projects carried out in the 1950s and 1960s, the largest are the municipal residential areas in the northern and southern parts of Nottingham. In the 1970s, several major retail and retail businesses were built in the city, including the Broad Marsh and Victoria shopping centers and the Royal Medical Center, the largest teaching hospital in Europe.
Nottingham is now home to the headquarters of several large companies, of which Boots the Chemists continues to stand out. Although chemical-pharmaceutical research is no longer Boots’ core business, its former employees and companies created out of the University of Nottingham have given rise to a rapidly growing pharmaceutical chemistry and biotechnology sector.
The city has two universities – the University of Nottingham and the University of Nottingham Trent. The University of Nottingham was established in 1948 on the basis of Nottingham University College. Currently, a total of about 33,600 students are studying here. Founded in 1992, Nottingham Trent University has more than 24,000 students.
Major city employers also include Siemens, credit rating agency Experian, energy company E.ON UK, tobacco company John Player & Sons, sports equipment manufacturer Speedo, optics manufacturer Vision Express, publishing company and game developer Games Workshop, software and video game developers Serif Europe, Reuters and Monumental Games, Free Radical Design, credit card company Capital One, a branch of the state tax and customs service. About 30 companies have opened branches in BioCity Science Park, the UK’s largest biotechnology research centre. In Nottingham is the headquarters of the famous fashion designer Paul Smith. Several firms operate in the fields of graphic design, interior design and textile design.
Until recently, the bicycle industry was one of the largest local industries. The buildings of the Raleigh Cycles bike factory were demolished in 2003 in connection with the expansion of the University of Nottingham campus.
Nottingham currently has about 292,400 inhabitants. Population density: 3,735 people per square kilometer. The ethnic composition is heterogeneous: representatives of the titular nation make up about 77% of the population. Proportion of working-age population (males 16 to 64; females 16 to 59years) is 69.4% of the total population. Share of the economically active population: 70.6% of working age residents. Average income in Nottingham (2008; full-time): £481 per week. Some local residents are employed in neighboring settlements. The average income of a resident of Nottingham: 417 pounds per week, below the average for the UK. Average hourly wage: £11. Unemployment rate (May 2009): 5.9% of the working age population. The service sector plays a fundamental role in the local economy. The share of state and local governments, educational institutions, health care facilities, trade and retail enterprises, accommodation facilities, transport companies, catering enterprises, investment finance companies and banks account for a total of 87% of the total number of jobs; the share of the manufacturing sector and construction – 7% and 4.3% of jobs (2007). 7.0% of jobs are in tourism and related industries. Every year the city receives about 300,000 foreign tourists. Among the main tourist attractions are Sherwood Forest and Nottingham Castle, which are closely associated with the legend of Robin Hood. A monument to Robin Hood by James Woodford was erected near the castle at 1952 year. The Robin Hood City Society, founded in 1972 by historian Jim Leese, still exists today. Local tourist sites also include the Cave City, Lace Market Square, old city pubs, the local history museum, the exposition of which is housed in five buildings built in the 17th century at the foot of the castle rock, the courthouse (Galleries of Justice) on Lace Market Square, windmill Green’s mill in the historic center of the city, Nottingham Castle Museum and Art Gallery, Museum of Industry, Natural History Museum, Nottingham Transport Heritage Centre.
Nottingham is close to the M1 motorway, the A52 and the A46. M1 is one of the main transport arteries of Great Britain, crossing England from south to north and connecting London with Leeds. The A52 leads to Derby, Bingham, Boston, Skegness and on to western Lincolnshire. The A46 leads to Somerset, Bath, Leicester and Lincoln.
Rail service links Nottingham with London, Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Leeds, Sheffield, Liverpool, York, Doncaster and Scarborough. From East Midlands Airport, aircraft make regular flights to Edinburgh, Belfast and various regions of continental Europe. Another international airport, Robin Hood Airport, located in Doncaster, provides air links to various parts of the UK, continental Europe and North America. The train ride to Birmingham International Airport (flights to New York, Boston, Toronto, Montreal, Dubai, India) takes just over two hours. The urban public transport system includes bus routes and monorail transport. The first monorail line was commissioned in 2004. Its length was 14 km, the cost – 200 million pounds.
Nottingham’s architecture represents many styles and eras. The oldest buildings that have survived to this day were built in the 11th century. The Victorian era was a period of building boom. The masterpieces of urban architecture that emerged during these years include the works of the famous architect Alfred Waterhouse, who designed the building of the Natural History Museum in London, as well as Thomas Chambers Hine and Watson Fothergill. In the western part of Nottingham, most of the city’s office complexes are located. Regent Street and Oxford Street are examples of Georgian style. Opposite Albert Hall, rebuilt after fire 1909, there is the Cathedral of St. Barnabas, designed in neo-Gothic style. Nottingham Castle is located in the south-western part of the city, the number of historical and architectural monuments of the central districts includes Arkwright’s mansion (Arkwright Building; neo-Gothic style) and the building of the Royal Theater. Buildings designed by Alfred Waterhouse and Watson Fothergill are on King Street and Queen Street. The central place in the appearance of the historical part of Nottingham is occupied by the architectural ensemble of Old Market Square, the largest of the city’s market squares in the United Kingdom. The centerpiece of this architectural ensemble is the majestic City Council Building, built in the 1920s from Portland stone. From here, city streets diverge in all directions. To the south of the square is the shopping district, here is Broadmarsh, one of the largest shopping centers in Nottingham. Even further south, in the canal area, there are many reconstructed buildings from the 19th century. Another shopping area, Hockley Village, is located to the east. The Church of the Virgin Mary is considered one of the finest examples of an English cruciform church. The Tudor-style mansion Wollaton Hall (1588) is located 4 km from the center. Here are the Museum of Natural History and the deer reserve. Standing at the foot of the castle rock, the Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem pub is one of the contenders for the title of the oldest of British pubs (estimated year of foundation is 1189).
Founded in 1865, Nottingham Forest Football Club currently play in the Championship, the second tier of English football. Among the most notable achievements of the team are the league title won in the 1977/78 season, two FA Cup victories, four League Cup victories, victories in the UEFA European Football Championship in 1979 and 1980, in the European Super Cup in 1979 -m.
Famous Nottingham natives include the writer David Herbert Lawrence, the poets Henry Kirk White and Philip James Bailey, the physicist and mathematician George Green, the actors John Byrd and Joseph Dempsey, the football players Andy Cole and Chris Sutton, and Kenneth Clark, the British Chancellor of the Exchequer. between 1993rd to 1997.
To the beginning of the story
Tales of Britain
London has many interesting places. ..
Walk into any popular London pub and you will feel as if you have entered a completely different world. The prudish English suddenly turn into noisy, cheerful people, who not only enjoy drinking beer and chatting with their neighbors at the table or bar, some of whom they didn’t even know 5 minutes ago, but also how children passionately fight each other in table soccer.
I will try to describe the minimum number of banknotes…
Nottingham is back. Where will cottages be built? Judging by the words of Olga Veramey, Chairman of the Architecture and Urban Planning Committee, the city plans not only to preserve the private sector as much as possible, but also to increase it. This information was published by the Minsk-Novosti agency.
In total, the private sector occupies about 1,560 hectares of land in Minsk (more than 16,000 houses with a total area of 2. 4 million square meters). This is about 20% of all residential areas. Most private housing is in the Sovietsky district (12%), the least – in Partizansky (2.5%) and Pervomaisky (2.7%). Of course, some of these houses are being demolished. However, the new master plan turned out to be more humane. In contrast to the document of 2010, the territories of the preserved estate development have more than doubled.
– In Minsk, it is planned to preserve about 1000 hectares of estate territories, which will be two thirds of such development. More than 11,000 households are located in the protected areas, which is at least 75% of the entire estate fund, – commented the chairman of the committee on . – The master plan also provides for the development of new territories (about 100 hectares) for homestead development in the Nottingham, Zeleny Bor districts.
Olga Veramey added that 14 territories belong to the areas of preserved development: these are arrays of estates within the boundaries of the street. Shchedrin – Prigorodnaya, Sobinov – Khalturin, Stoletov – Peredovaya, Soltys – Kholmogorskaya, Northern settlement, former village of Masyukovshchina, etc.
New construction, reconstruction, modernization, major and current repairs are allowed in the conservation zone, as long as they do not violate the laws and regulations in force in the country.
As for the demolition zone, here homeowners are allowed to redevelop, arrange residential attics in the dimensions of the existing attic space, add a bathroom, bathroom, furnace, thermal rehabilitation of a residential building, erection of such buildings as a veranda, terrace, gazebo, porch, shed, device ramps, connection to engineering networks, communication lines. It is possible to build a garage with an area of not more than 25 square meters. m, barn (no more than 15 sq. m), baths (no more than 12 sq. m). Reconstruction of residential buildings and buildings is also allowed.
“Minskgrado has recently started to correct the decisions of the 2016 master plan, and the possibility of maintaining the estate development in even larger volumes than was previously envisaged is being considered,” shared Olga Veramey.